Fukien tea leaves look like some sort of pest is bothering them...and so frequently loses leaves

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Hard to tell what might be affecting the leaves, but what has been happening is that it comes out full leaf, doing well, then just like that the leaves start to look all mottled and very tine black spots on some of them. Quite a few yellow and drop, and then it all fill in again in a few weeks. Looks good for a week or so, then the same thing happens. Today I sprayed it with some insecticidal soap - stuff is supposed to be safe on just about anything. Have not yet repotted (I had a thread regarding this from back in March).

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
where do you have it? pics would be helpful.
first i would do the white sheet test, get paper under the tree, gently shake foliage and look for any black dots. that indicates bug infestation

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yellowing leaves can also be an indication of over watering.

However, that is not to say you are over watering. Many factors are involved like your geographic location, whether the tree is kept indoors or out, soil water retention of soil and ambient humidity level.

Last edited:

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You say that now....😀 Seriously, good for you. I have one, it's OK for now, but I suspect it will get angry when it comes inside.
That very well could happen. It won't be the first plant that was doing great and then died on me.
I hope not but we will see.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@ carol 83. What temp do you think I should plan on bringing it in?
I'm reading on the net that below 55 at night it needs to come in.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@ carol 83. What temp do you think I should plan on bringing it in?
I'm reading on the net that below 55 at night it needs to come in.
I generally bring all the trops in when the nighttime low is consistently 50.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
where do you have it? pics would be helpful.
first i would do the white sheet test, get paper under the tree, gently shake foliage and look for any black dots. that indicates bug infestation

Did the paper test....nothing came off (except more leaves!) Here are some pictures...a whole bunch more leaves came off again today. But, as has been the pattern, looks like new growth will be coming. Weird cycle of late - purge and renew. It has NOT been repotted since I got it about 3 years ago, so that should probably be done. I may need to have someone else care for it for awhile next month, so might it be best to wait - rather than repotting AND moving to a different location? The bonsai is always kept in a sunroom - windows on all except north side - very bright and sunny in there - also lots of plants in the room so I'd think ambient humidity level should be pretty decent.

Attachments

• IMG_1805.jpeg
    IMG_1805.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1806.jpeg
    IMG_1806.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 60

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Anyone have some thoughts on this from the pictures I posted?

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
The bonsai is always kept in a sunroom - windows on all except north side - very bright and sunny in there.
So, its never been outside? Mine has been in full sun all summer long. I'm sure it's going to throw a fit and turn into conniption queen as soon as it goes in for seven months, oh well, been dealing with that for over 14 years or however long I've had the thing...
Haven't repotted mine for like eight years though

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
OK...I just don't ever recall seeing the leaves look quite like this.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
So, its never been outside? Mine has been in full sun all summer long. I'm sure it's going to throw a fit and turn into conniption queen as soon as it goes in for seven months, oh well, been dealing with that for over 14 years or however long I've had the thing...
Haven't repotted mine for like eight years though
No...never had it outside other than for a few minutes at a time if I mist it.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Please put your location in your profile, it will help you get better advice, knowing the climate you are working in. In most places they can be outside from spring until fall.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
What about repotting? Probably not a good idea while it's stressed and continuing to drop leaves?

Top Bottom