Fukien Tea losing leaves

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Back at you...is posting the pic here that difficult?

I am free to comment or not but if you want better input...you better cater to those you want input from. Not the other way around (here or anywhere else).

Good luck!

I will bend over backward to help people with the one exception: Those people that seem to think my response, your response, anyone's response is here to demand. In other words in their way of thinking our responses are owed to them.

People seem to forget that no one gets paid for their input and many of us have spent more years than a doctor learning the finer points of this art form. I don't expect praise or groveling from any one but I do respond to what I freely give:---Respect. If I don't get respect I will return what I did get; and thus this post. Blunt and strident.

As long as we are being blunt and strident I might add, I stopped trying to contribute to this thread when it became obvious that OP was not going to listen to what they were being told or willing to execute the same.

Last edited:

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't mind that the images are hosted offsite as its easier for me to open the images in separate tabs. I don't like the way thumbnails work here. Plus imgur is a good host. Your frustration with the tree is spilling over into the way you're addressing members however.

What I would have done was to repot it into a freely draining mix. Tropicals can be repotted just about any time of year if they're being grown indoors. I would use one part calcined clay, one part granite grit, and one part pine bark. Then get it some light and allow it to recover. I feel like doing all of this is just dragging out the inevitable and not really bringing the health of the tree back. The soil should stay moist but not to the point that you're watering once a week. The humidity tent is a good idea that I would stick with, but it will get used to that humidity level and once you take it off when it is recovered it will drop leaves again.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Rguy55 -

Can you please update your profile with your location and/or horticultural zone? We would be able to advise you better. Currently, what are your night time lows?

Scott

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Rguy55 -

Can you please update your profile with your location and/or horticultural zone? We would be able to advise you better. Currently, what are your night time lows?

Scott

That was requested at post #2 already but got nothing.

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Mine also lost its leaves, all of them dried up, what didnt fall I removed. It sat for a while just getting water. No results. After being given advice to put it in a humidity bag from members here I did so. Its been about a week, but no results. I am hopeful though. Its been over a month with no leaf push. Im going to try to wait it out. I still see green when I scratch some places. I'm hoping its extremely shocked but viable. If not, I guess I may have killed my first tree. :(

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mine also lost its leaves, all of them dried up, what didnt fall I removed. It sat for a while just getting water. No results. After being given advice to put it in a humidity bag from members here I did so. Its been about a week, but no results. I am hopeful though. Its been over a month with no leaf push. Im going to try to wait it out. I still see green when I scratch some places. I'm hoping its extremely shocked but viable. If not, I guess I may have killed my first tree. :(

Don't take it too hard - we've all killed trees. The important thing is to learn from it. Fukien tea are great trees and easy to grow in something close to their native horticultural zone (~zone 8 and higher with winter protection). They like full sun, well-drained soil, and they do not like to be droughted. They can adapt to indoor conditions, but do not tolerate them as well as many other species so often aren't the best choice for the novice indoor grower. Good luck with your next tree.

Scott

RyGuy55

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to stop by and say that after a few months in the mini greenhouse, the tree has started to come back! It's been stable and even flowing a bit for the last few weeks so I'll be repotting it soon (pumice, akadama, and red lava are on their way). I'd once again like to extend my thanks to everyone who offered input and helped me save the tree. With the direction the thread took towards the end though, here is my 2 cents.

I will bend over backward to help people with the one exception: Those people that seem to think my response, your response, anyone's response is here to demand. In other words in their way of thinking our responses are owed to them.

People seem to forget that no one gets paid for their input and many of us have spent more years than a doctor learning the finer points of this art form. I don't expect praise or groveling from any one but I do respond to what I freely give:---Respect. If I don't get respect I will return what I did get; and thus this post. Blunt and strident.

As long as we are being blunt and strident I might add, I stopped trying to contribute to this thread when it became obvious that OP was not going to listen to what they were being told or willing to execute the same.

To start, I initially attempted to post my pictures directly on my posts. Each time I did, I got the broken image icon. After multiple tries I couldn't get the images to appear so I hosted them on a reputable image hosting site where someone clicks the link and the image opens in full quality on a new tab. That is a totally commonplace and acceptable way to post images. The whole "we won't help unless you repost your images" thing is completely unreasonable.

I took everyone's advice into account and was sure to continuously thank the members for their continued support. It might not seem quite this way to a grand master of the art of bonsai like yourself, but I made every attempt possible to apply the advice I received here every step of the way (with no prior knowledge outside of very conflicting articles I found online). As someone who has for years posted on various specific interest boards offering advice and help for topics I'm better versed in, I can honestly say you're just being salty. That being said though, I still appreciate the help you offered me.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to stop by and say that after a few months in the mini greenhouse, the tree has started to come back! It's been stable and even flowing a bit for the last few weeks so I'll be repotting it soon (pumice, akadama, and red lava are on their way). I'd once again like to extend my thanks to everyone who offered input and helped me save the tree. With the direction the thread took towards the end though, here is my 2 cents.

To start, I initially attempted to post my pictures directly on my posts. Each time I did, I got the broken image icon. After multiple tries I couldn't get the images to appear so I hosted them on a reputable image hosting site where someone clicks the link and the image opens in full quality on a new tab. That is a totally commonplace and acceptable way to post images. The whole "we won't help unless you repost your images" thing is completely unreasonable.

I took everyone's advice into account and was sure to continuously thank the members for their continued support. It might not seem quite this way to a grand master of the art of bonsai like yourself, but I made every attempt possible to apply the advice I received here every step of the way (with no prior knowledge outside of very conflicting articles I found online). As someone who has for years posted on various specific interest boards offering advice and help for topics I'm better versed in, I can honestly say you're just being salty. That being said though, I still appreciate the help you offered me.

Totally agree with you RyGuy. Thanks to everyone who posted help. I'm facing a similar issue.

Top Bottom