Fukien Tea: My Problem Child (a Call for Help and Suggestions) (Pics Included)

MisterMcFeely

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey all,

Sad to say that my first post here is a plea for help, but I can assure you that I'm open to all suggestions and plan to diligently implement any advice you have.

Wanting to jump into the world of bonsai - I've always loved these tiny trees but never had the spending money to devote to it - I purchased a Fukien Tea tree from a reputable eBay seller. I received the tree in apparently good health (as seen here HERE) and proceeded to water it sparingly, as I understand that Fukien Tea trees need to dry out a bit between waterings and because the soil never seemed to fully dry anyway. I never, however, let the tree soil get bone dry (as I mentioned, the soil doesn't seem like it ever gets dry even 3 to 4 days after watering). The tree sits on a windowsill that allows it to get sun most of the day, but never direct sun. I read this is what these trees like.

Nevertheless, the tree started dropping leaves and by two weeks in, had lost every single leaf, despite the leaves looking healthy - I understand that Fukiens drop leaves at the slightest stress, but they do grow back.

I was put off by this, but nevertheless continued my careful regimen, and to my surprise the tree started growing back leaves at every "node", for lack of a better word. As you can see HERE, it looked wonderful.

Of course, my happiness was sooned dashed by the fact that the tree is once again deciding to drop all its leaves. Its quite bizarre to watch a plant seemingly come to life and vigorously start growing leaves, only to have these not-yet-full-grown leaves already start to fall as you can see HERE.

I've read countless posts on Fukien Tea trees and - apart from coming to realize that this shouldn't be considered a beginner's tree as its often billed - my only thought is that the tree was planted in suboptimal soil which is too compacted - I notice that the soil always feels wet even days after watering - I took a picture of the soil HERE. But that's the only thing I can think of. House is ALWAYS kept between 74-77 degrees and I even have a humidity tray for the plant.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice you can give!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey MisterMcfeely, welcome to Bonsai-Nut! First off let me assure you that you will hear this a lot here but its definetly true, Fukien Tea is not an indoor tree. Secondly humidity trays do nothing to help your plant, save maybe allow you to water it without water running out the bottom on your table. Fukien Teas need full sun, they are a very particular tree too but can be rewarding especially when healthy and flowering. I would say the first leaf drop was due to being stressed while shipped, the second leaf drop is most likely due to where you are keeping it. The fact your soil is not drying out may mean the tree is not taking water, or the soil might have either too much organics or maybe even something like spaghnum moss or another additive that retains moisture. The average potting soil is made to hold water and that is not good in a Bonsai with the limited root system in the pot. The soil does not look too bad it seems to have lava rock and should be drying out so that makes me think the plant is not taking water. The soil needs to be free draining to keep the roots from rotting, the way to tell if the soil drains well is when you soak it with water it should run out the bottom fairly quick. If you want a good indoor tree get either a Scheffelera Arboricola or any Ficus variety except Benjamina. Or you could invest in good supplemental lighting for the tree but you will still have to fight the drying properties of your air conditioning and heater, plants transpire water through their leaves liek breathing and air/heat systems suck the water from the air so that we are comfortable, the plants do not like it though. Believe it or not 100 degree weather and full sun all day and this tree is happy as a clam. Good luck with your Tea, and watch out this is an addictive hobby/art !

ed

MisterMcFeely

Seedling
Reaction score
Where do you live? Are you keeping it outside? Here's someone with a similar tree http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?8239-what-kind-of-pot-would-look-best There are many others of you in the same boat.

What a coincidence. He/She bought from the same vendor, only mine wasn't a "pre-bonsai". I feel annoyed that the eBay sale misled me, but I guess I should have done more due diligence instead of jumping in with both feet and blindfolded!

I live in New Jersey. I think I'm going to donate this tree to the patio of my condo complex. I'd hate for the plant to die. Would do you think would happen if I just replanted it into the ground? Would it take?

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a coincidence. He/She bought from the same vendor, only mine wasn't a "pre-bonsai". I feel annoyed that the eBay sale misled me, but I guess I should have done more due diligence instead of jumping in with both feet and blindfolded!

I live in New Jersey. I think I'm going to donate this tree to the patio of my condo complex. I'd hate for the plant to die. Would do you think would happen if I just replanted it into the ground? Would it take?

Its already stressed and replanting it would probably just kill it, even a simple slip pot would add more stress to an already weakened tree. I would take it outside and leave it in the shade for a week or so and see if it shows signs of coming back. Then if starts new growth find a place where it gets the most sun and water it every morning and maybe each afternoon if it gets real hot and dries out.

ed

MisterMcFeely

Seedling
Reaction score
Ed,

Thanks for the helpful response! I guess there's some validation in now knowing that this tree really isn't meant for for where I've been keeping it, and that I'm not a total failure at keeping bonsai. It's funny that you mention buying a Ficus, because I went ahead an bought a Ginseng Ficus a week ago, here's a picture of it HERE. Something about the contorted nature of this tree, really, really appeals to me, and having just received it yesterday, I'm so glad that the one species that seems to do well indoors is one that I actually like!

Hey MisterMcfeely, welcome to Bonsai-Nut! First off let me assure you that you will hear this a lot here but its definetly true, Fukien Tea is not an indoor tree. Secondly humidity trays do nothing to help your plant, save maybe allow you to water it without water running out the bottom on your table. Fukien Teas need full sun, they are a very particular tree too but can be rewarding especially when healthy and flowering. I would say the first leaf drop was due to being stressed while shipped, the second leaf drop is most likely due to where you are keeping it. The fact your soil is not drying out may mean the tree is not taking water, or the soil might have either too much organics or maybe even something like spaghnum moss or another additive that retains moisture. The average potting soil is made to hold water and that is not good in a Bonsai with the limited root system in the pot. The soil does not look too bad it seems to have lava rock and should be drying out so that makes me think the plant is not taking water. The soil needs to be free draining to keep the roots from rotting, the way to tell if the soil drains well is when you soak it with water it should run out the bottom fairly quick. If you want a good indoor tree get either a Scheffelera Arboricola or any Ficus variety except Benjamina. Or you could invest in good supplemental lighting for the tree but you will still have to fight the drying properties of your air conditioning and heater, plants transpire water through their leaves liek breathing and air/heat systems suck the water from the air so that we are comfortable, the plants do not like it though. Believe it or not 100 degree weather and full sun all day and this tree is happy as a clam. Good luck with your Tea, and watch out this is an addictive hobby/art !

ed

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And this is where things get confusing....

I'm going to tell you the almost complete opposite of what you've just been told. Almost because right now you should have this tree outside. However, the thread that was posted as an example to you involved someone who lives in one of the hottest places in the country with much higher winter temps than you have. This is a tropical tree and will be dead by thanksgiving if you leave it outside in New jersey. Put it out for now (in it's pot). But you'll need to bring it back in most likely by late September/early October. It's going to drop leaves but give it the best light you can and maintain some humidity around the tree when it's indoors.

Now, I'll break the news to you that Ficus will also throw a hissy fit and drop leaves from time to time.

Trees evolved before houses, it's not a natural environment and very difficult to provide them with a tropical climate and light levels inside. You'll always have hitches with "indoor" trees until you find the proper setup for your particular lifestyle (and theirs).

MisterMcFeely

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice. I knew it couldn't be that easy. I wish all plants were like lucky bamboo. :)

Thanks for the advice. I will be taking this plant outside in its pot. Let's see how it does. I will report back with pictures as time goes!

And this is where things get confusing....

I'm going to tell you the almost complete opposite of what you've just been told. Almost because right now you should have this tree outside. However, the thread that was posted as an example to you involved someone who lives in one of the hottest places in the country with much higher winter temps than you have. This is a tropical tree and will be dead by thanksgiving if you leave it outside in New jersey. Put it out for now (in it's pot). But you'll need to bring it back in most likely by late September/early October. It's going to drop leaves but give it the best light you can and maintain some humidity around the tree when it's indoors.

Now, I'll break the news to you that Ficus will also throw a hissy fit and drop leaves from time to time.

Trees evolved before houses, it's not a natural environment and very difficult to provide them with a tropical climate and light levels inside. You'll always have hitches with "indoor" trees until you find the proper setup for your particular lifestyle (and theirs).

Top Bottom