Fukien Tea still alive??

Naomi

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello! :)
I was gifted my very first bonsai tree a couple days ago, it is a Fukien Tea tree that is 6 years old. As soon as my boyfriend and I opened the well-packaged tree we noticed the dry, dark green leaves. All of them wilting away. I watered it immediately when I got home as it was shipped from California to North Carolina. I had figured the long, cold trip caused the wilting. My tree is currently in my bathroom where I have it warmed up next to a window facing the west. I read up that by scratching a bit of the tree trunk and seeing green you can rest assured that the tree is alive. I did so and was relieved to see a lush green near the trunk of the tree. Moreover, today I decided to check the top area of the tree where the branches are looking a bit sadder and found that the further up I went the darker the color got eventually turning to brown. I would greatly appreciate any information given to me on how to save this little guy! Thank you!!!

upload_2018-1-17_18-53-2.png

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If the roots froze it is dead. If the roots did not freeze it might survive.

Cut off all the leaves - every last one. Put it in the brightest window you have. Keep the soil moist but NOT soaking wet. At this point your little tree will be using almost no water - but you can't let the roots dry out.

Now wait a few weeks. If you are lucky you will see a bright green bud (or buds) pop out. If you go a month and nothing happens, it is fuel for the burn pile!

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hah, I was typing and you beat me by 5 minutes BNut. I 100% agree with this suggestion.

I have one that has been lightly frozen twice over the years and looked similar to yours. Pulled through the first one ok and the second time was a couple weeks ago. Fingers crossed here too. Oh Texas winter. :eek:

Naomi

Seedling
Reaction score
Hah, I was typing and you beat me by 5 minutes BNut. I 100% agree with this suggestion.

I have one that has been lightly frozen twice over the years and looked similar to yours. Pulled through the first one ok and the second time was a couple weeks ago. Fingers crossed here too. Oh Texas winter. :eek:

Oh no, I hope it beats the winter bitterness again! Thank you for your suggestion, Dave!

Naomi

Seedling
Reaction score
If the roots froze it is dead. If the roots did not freeze it might survive.

Cut off all the leaves - every last one. Put it in the brightest window you have. Keep the soil moist but NOT soaking wet. At this point your little tree will be using almost no water - but you can't let the roots dry out.

Now wait a few weeks. If you are lucky you will see a bright green bud (or buds) pop out. If you go a month and nothing happens, it is fuel for the burn pile!

I’m on it! Much obliged! :D

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Also check out this thread from another fukien tea owner with troubles:

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/fukien-tea-bonsai-tree-questions.31004/#post-524292

Note do NOT repot or fertilize your tree. At this point you need to just let it sit in the sun, think tropical thoughts, and hope it comes through. It all depends on the roots. If the roots were strong and did not freeze, I think you have a chance.

I post the link to the other fukien tea so you can see what you HOPE to see on your tree - bright green new growth.

Naomi

Seedling
Reaction score
Great! I really appreciate all of this information, I can’t thank you enough!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Naomi

Seedling
Reaction score
Ah, the ol' black leaf tea variety...;)

Sorry for you tree...
Maybe the bonsai god's will lift up their countenance upon you, and resurrect your tree.
Amen.

I sure do hope so, I appreciate it friend! :rolleyes:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you!! :)

Now that you're a certified friend!...

Can I tell you what I really think!?

Hell, it may come out polite rather easy...

Hell, I can say it all in one line!

I was attracted to a Fukien Tea at my local Wal-Mart, so I can see how this happened.

Lol!
Get attracted to a Fukien tea you can find locally! This way you get to WATCH it turn black and die!

Thats what bonsai is about after all yes?
Watching them die! Not having the whole fun process happen in a BOX!

I'd ship that one back to California with a note on it that says.....
"No wonder your state is on fire!, what is this shit!?"

Speaking of wonder!

This IS a hobby full of wonder!
And I hope that tree doesn't stop you from further pursueing this.

Did we out this Cali Dealer yet?

We got peeps in the Carolines!

Next!

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are very easy at 3 inches and below.
Try some seeds if you can.
Look up - Mame'

Do about 20 efforts to learn.

Don't give up.
Good Day
Anthony

Naomi

Seedling
Reaction score
They are very easy at 3 inches and below.
Try some seeds if you can.
Look up - Mame'

Do about 20 efforts to learn.

Don't give up.
Good Day
Anthony

Thank you for the the suggestion!

Top Bottom