Fukien Tea Styling

Versal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

I'm new here. I got a fukien tea bonsai a couple months back and I've been trying to think of how this bonsai should be styled eventually. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• image1 (14).jpeg
    image1 (14).jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 11
  • image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 12

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It already has a style, so you are just a maintenance man. You bought it so you most likely have an affinity for its present style. That's a good starting position for a beginner! You probably already know that keeping it alive is the first order of business, and that's it's easier said than done. If it is actively growing then you need to clip & grow to keep it within some imaginary profile pretty close to what is....
fuk 1.JPG
Clip & grow so you have layers of foliage extending sideways and up from a major branch. No foliage is allowed to grow downwards, or up so high that it interferes with the layer above. Any twig that is going to extend beyond your imaginary cloud (layer) is clipped off. You maintain space between branches for the birdies to fly through by clipping anything that grows into that space.
fuk 3.JPG
fuk 2.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Versal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Forsoothe Thanks for the diagram! This really helped me envision what to do when I do trim it

Top Bottom