Fukien Tea watering.

brianmm64

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi, new to the forum and need some advice.
I have a fukien tea and can't seem to find the right answer. I've called a few local shops and asked about watering. One tells me if I underwater the leaves will yellow another tells me if I overwater the leaves will yellow.
I am using a meter and wait until the soil is dry to the touch and the moisture meter reads 3ish.
Its like every 3 or 4 days depending on the temps.
I still have leaves that look funny.
Fertilizer half strength every other week , temps low 70s , humidity 50 ish, east window. Had in the south window and I moved trying to see if it was getting to much direct sun?
Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20190413_094110.jpg
    20190413_094110.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190413_093858.jpg
    20190413_093858.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20190413_094911.jpg
    20190413_094911.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 57

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Welcome. The leaves look fine by the photos. Watering is a challenge to master, but if you’re attentive you’ll get it down.

Fukein Tea is a difficult tree to keep happy outside its zone, so don’t be discouraged if it declines. Grow trees outside, and try to grow trees that are hardy where you live, and half the horticultural battle is won.

Indoor Bonsai adds a degree of difficulty because light is low, even sitting in a window. Humidity is low, and air movement is low. It’s best to find a good spot outside when the temps are above 50f and keep this tree there, AM sun, not too windy. Fukein tea will drop leaves when it gets moved around a lot, so find a spot, let it adjust, and maintain a vigilant watering plan.

Also, add your general location to your profile.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those telling you if you overwater the leaves will yellow are right.
If you underwater the leaves will get brown and buds will blacken and die.

brianmm64

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the fast response.
I am going to keep up what I'm doing then.
Without over-watering of course.
I'm in Michigan , so once the weather breaks they will be outside.
I have a few more wanting to go outdoors.i have only been into Bonsai's for a short while and am already hooked.
The wife is OK with my new hobby,,,,so far.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20190329_164307.jpg
    20190329_164307.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 46
  • 20190413_091034.jpg
    20190413_091034.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 41

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome. The leaves look fine by the photos. Watering is a challenge to master, but if you’re attentive you’ll get it down.

Fukein Tea is a difficult tree to keep happy outside its zone, so don’t be discouraged if it declines. Grow trees outside, and try to grow trees that are hardy where you live, and half the horticultural battle is won.

Indoor Bonsai adds a degree of difficulty because light is low, even sitting in a window. Humidity is low, and air movement is low. It’s best to find a good spot outside when the temps are above 50f and keep this tree there, AM sun, not too windy. Fukein tea will drop leaves when it gets moved around a lot, so find a spot, let it adjust, and maintain a vigilant watering plan.

Also, add your general location to your profile.
I entirely agree with your statement.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We suspect that Fukien tea suffers from root sensitivity,
It is a zone 9 in China ------ in the ground.

However sustained dips into the 60 deg.F range after a
day of sun, will kill it.
If you can take a cutting and root it.
See if there is a change if you grow the cutting in a styrofoam
or mica pot container.

It also is sleeping after Christmas to February.

You may wish to get a Chinese Southern Elm.
Good Day
Anthony

Bonsaidoctor

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Living in Ohio, I am forced to keep my Fukien tea indoors most of the year. It is tough to watch if “suffer” so much of the year. I recently moved to a new apartment, and I can even get it a nice south facing window (it has to tolerate east for now)). I say all of this to reaffirm that Fukiens, outside of their element, are very sensitive and touchy. Aphids are a frequent problem in the winter time. But when they have the right conditions (June-Sept in Ohio) they are brilliant.
Most of the time.. my Fukien (had it for 5 years) just looks kind of sad. Like the pics below. I dont really buy indoor trees anymore as a result. Setting up lighting is always so much of a hassle. But I cant “let her go”- its not the trees fault.

Sorry for poor lighting in morning. But I think it makes the point. :/
55BCE27E-123A-4A1A-AB39-BF43913FE08A.jpeg8BB8EF59-2A32-4EEB-8BB0-AC56BD997667.jpeg

Top Bottom