Fukien Tea wilting after repot

Maxe24

Seed
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to this forum and have been growing bonsai for a year now and in that time have collected 3 trees. My newest is a Fukien tea that I bought at a local nursery. The soil seemed poor and would dry out in less than a day. The roots were also growing out of the pot so I decided to repot it. When I did I only cut a few roots that seemed like they needed some pruning. Since the repot (about 4 days) I've been watering everyday since the top soil seems to dry out very quickly.
Today I noticed that all the leaves were wilting and some yellowing has occured. I removed all the yellow and poor looking leaves.
I am wondering if there's anything I can do to make the tree happy so it will take to the new soil better. Possibly a case of over watering or sunlight issues? It's in a window that receives good indirect sunlight.
I've been reading up on FT and they seem to just be very nitpicky so it could be I just have to wait and see what happens.
Thank you!IMG_20200523_174133.jpgIMG_20200523_174059.jpgIMG_20200523_174049.jpg

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Every time I've tried to put a fukien tea into a bonsai growing medium, they die. I keep mine in 100% coco coir.
I hesitate to give advice because it will probably die no matter what at this point.
Sorry, I say that with compassion...

Maxe24

Seed
Reaction score
Every time I've tried to put a fukien tea into a bonsai growing medium, they die. I keep mine in 100% coco coir.
I hesitate to give advice because it will probably die no matter what at this point.
Sorry, I say that with compassion...
Dang, that's tough to hear.
Thanks for the honest response. I'll just keep watering per usual and see what happens. Hopefully can post an update in a couple weeks.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dang, that's tough to hear.
Thanks for the honest response. I'll just keep watering per usual and see what happens. Hopefully can post an update in a couple weeks.

They are really touchy. The only thing I'll add is DON'T kill it with kindness by trying to do something more. Just leave it in the new pot and soil, and maintain your watering regimen. Fingers crossed it bounces back. It is one of those trees that thrives on neglect.

Daniel_UK

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey all, I'm new to this forum and have been growing bonsai for a year now and in that time have collected 3 trees. My newest is a Fukien tea that I bought at a local nursery. The soil seemed poor and would dry out in less than a day. The roots were also growing out of the pot so I decided to repot it. When I did I only cut a few roots that seemed like they needed some pruning. Since the repot (about 4 days) I've been watering everyday since the top soil seems to dry out very quickly.
Today I noticed that all the leaves were wilting and some yellowing has occured. I removed all the yellow and poor looking leaves.
I am wondering if there's anything I can do to make the tree happy so it will take to the new soil better. Possibly a case of over watering or sunlight issues? It's in a window that receives good indirect sunlight.
I've been reading up on FT and they seem to just be very nitpicky so it could be I just have to wait and see what happens.

I repotted my fukien tea tree 4 weeks ago in 50% Akadama, 50% Kyodama and it looked similar to yours for the first few days, but it did recover. As long as you have a good substrate in which you can't really overwater, then water often (I water every day like you are doing at the moment) and try not to worry about it, as there is nothing additional you can do. I hope it survives.

Top Bottom