Fukien Tea Won't Send Shoots

DrTolhur

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I got a Fukien tea last spring, and it was understandably stressed from shipping. So I gave it the full year and most of this spring to get its act together, but it's still not creating any shoots. It's got lots of foliage, but no tender green shoots. All of the leaves are growing directly out of these woody nubs. And you can see that they're almost stacking on top of each other. I'm in zone 5, and it lives outside with probably ¾ sun. I just can't figure out how to get it to actually send out shoots so I can have any kind of design. It's basically static at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_2378.JPG
    IMG_2378.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2379.JPG
    IMG_2379.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2380.JPG
    IMG_2380.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 29

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah, don't get too attached to it, it's just passing through, so to speak.

DrTolhur

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What do you mean by that, Forsoothe? Are Fukien tea not usually long-term trees?

I did actually repot it last spring, though, and it seems no worse for wear. No plans to repot soon.

SWfloirda

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Mine doesn’t grow much either. It’s alive, gets flowers and stays green and full. But it hardly ever has noticeable new growth.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They are problematic. There are no male plants, only females, and they are all temperamental and finicky.

penumbra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of mine is just waking up and sending new shoots. It is a small plant but shoots can get quite long.
The other I have is still sleeping but healthy. I expect new shoots soon.
I did kill one two years ago.
Best of luck with yours. I have no wisdom to share. It does seem they prefer deeper pots.

DrTolhur

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cadillactaste, that's actually what's making it so frustrating. It looks perfectly healthy and happy, but it refuses to grow shoots. Per a suggestion from somewhere else, I have been watering it once per week with water that had a banana peel soaking in it. Otherwise, generally watering it once per day with tap water.