Fukien Tea

Micar

Seedling
Reaction score
I have the following issues on my 3yr old Fukien, I have to re-pot twice in a matter of weeks due to Black spot that I could not contain with fungicide, I found bugs in the root mass then leaves were going yellow. One issue is me over watering and I think killing with kindness. I now have a water/PH tester which helps dramatically. Things started to look up new shoots all over the tree, I introduced a 2 pronged heat grow lamp which in red/blue it burned the new shoots even though there is no heat generated from them. My question is what do I do from here as this bonsai was looking so healthy, will it come back to good health?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site @Micar!

(1) Where do you live?
(2) Where are you keeping your Fukien tea?
(3) A photo is worth a thousand words. From your casual description I would immediately wonder about the soil - and whether it is an open soil mix, or a compacted mass that reminds one of the Okefenokee swamp :)

Micar

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry.
I live in Brisbane Australia.
I keep it indoors as I live in aged care facility full time and my balcony faces North but we get a lot of wind and it would die in the summer. The soil mix is Osmocote professional bonsai mix which is the only one available in my area as I have tried to source another mix but I am unable to.

Attachments

• Fukien Tea bonsai.jpg
    Fukien Tea bonsai.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 29

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
My only comment is I strongly recommend against applying fungicide indoors. So hopefully that is being done on the balcony

Micar

Seedling
Reaction score
I would never spray a fungicide indoors and I also waited for it to dry completely before bringing it back indoors.
Thank you for your comment

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
we get a lot of wind and it would die in the summer.

Don't underestimate Fukien tea. It is a true tropical with a waxy leaf structure. It can stand direct tropical sun and tropical temps without batting an eye. I can keep them outside here in Southern California in full sun and they love it.

When I look at your tree, I have to admit - it looks extremely pale and leggy, like it isn't getting enough sun. I just went out and snapped a photo of a Fukien tea in my backyard. A healthy Fukien tea will have dark green foliage that is very tight. Interior leaves will yellow and drop, but the tree should never look sparse.

If you are keeping it indoors you should focus on light (grow light NOT heat light) and humidity. Sometimes people assume tropical trees need HEAT. They generally don't unless you live somewhere where the temps regularly fall below freezing. The plant in my photo sits outside 365 days a year - through light frosts and numerous nights in the 40's (F). Focus on providing strong lighting (without heat) and keeping the tree foliage from being too dry.

It just so happens that when I snapped this photo we are having some mist from marine layer from the ocean. I live 5 miles from the Pacific, but at this time of year we occasionally get heavy marine layer that mists the trees. It is not that normal - perhaps once or twice per month. I say this because I don't want you to think I mist my trees. Most of the time they are dry.

Micar

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank for your reply, I really appreciate your time and input, I try the tips you have given me and I will see if it helps, the lamp is a 20w 2 prong LED grow lamp that does not produce any heat at all.
Micar

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't underestimate Fukien tea. It is a true tropical with a waxy leaf structure. It can stand direct tropical sun and tropical temps without batting an eye. I can keep them outside here in Southern California in full sun and they love it.

When I look at your tree, I have to admit - it looks extremely pale and leggy, like it isn't getting enough sun. I just went out and snapped a photo of a Fukien tea in my backyard. A healthy Fukien tea will have dark green foliage that is very tight. Interior leaves will yellow and drop, but the tree should never look sparse.

If you are keeping it indoors you should focus on light (grow light NOT heat light) and humidity. Sometimes people assume tropical trees need HEAT. They generally don't unless you live somewhere where the temps regularly fall below freezing. The plant in my photo sits outside 365 days a year - through light frosts and numerous nights in the 40's (F). Focus on providing strong lighting (without heat) and keeping the tree foliage from being too dry.

It just so happens that when I snapped this photo we are having some mist from marine layer from the ocean. I live 5 miles from the Pacific, but at this time of year we occasionally get heavy marine layer that mists the trees. It is not that normal - perhaps once or twice per month. I say this because I don't want you to think I mist my trees. Most of the time they are dry.

View attachment 247654
Oh, what lovely dense foliage you have there, sir.

Top Bottom