Fukien Tea

Micar

Seedling
Reaction score
Help, I live in Brisbane Australia
I recently sprayed my Bonsai trees and ornamental with Neem oil making sure to use the correct mixture as per the instructions. My Fukien, gets plenty of sunlight ( av 3hs @ day) and sunlight from a north facing window, I also use a grow lamp. I never over water as I always use a PH/water meter to tell me when to water but the attached photo shows the base of the tree and I am unsure if it should happen after spraying neem oil or not.
We are in our winter but where I live it is sub-tropical and only get cold over night with temps reaching 27-29 c during the day. The leaves continue to fall off even if they are green and I am concerned that I may be losing the battle even though there is a lot of new growth.
Please helpTree roots.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If the tree spent the summer outdoors, it needs to be weaned off good light. That's taking it indoors in ~one~ week steps from sun to part sun to dappled shade to shade to house, and reversed going out next spring. Getting it to 3 hours of a north window seems like a stretch. You've added insult to injury with the Neem oil which further filters light to the leaves. It's perfectly understandable that you need to de-bug it and normally Neem is pretty good for that. Maybe next year you could use the Neem a couple times at lower percentages, earlier, and wash it off with dish soap just before you bring it in. (dish washing soap has grease cutters that work well and are easy on your hands) I use a systemic a couple times a year.

Also, the leaves of ~evergreen~ plants last longer than a year, but not much longer. The trick to making them look good over winter is to defoliate once during summer so that all the leaves are essentially brand new when you bring it indoors and will last longer through the winter.

Micar

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you Forsoothe!. Good advice

Top Bottom