• Bonzai.jpg
    Bonzai.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 43

Reesedog914

Seedling
Reaction score
Another Picture

:)

This is Another Picture with the stones re-arranged into a different pattern.

Attachments

• Bonzai 2.jpg
    Bonzai 2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 34

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to the site. You have a nice tree to start on. Read up on care and feeding here using the search tool. Feel free to ask questions about your tree if you cant find anything here.
And so you dont need asbestos clothes, the word bonsai is very different than bonzai. Act like your Asian and say "bone sigh" without sounding like you're from Baltimore. Sorta halfway between bon and bone.

Reesedog914

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you. My question would be: I have repotted out of the recommended timeframe and did not root prune. The soil it came in was impacted and it was rootbound and lacking nutrients. I have since repotted and resoiled but I did not prune the roots. Should I try to prune and repot now that it has been happy for several months?

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Probably a bit late for root work ON TOP OF repotting, as mundane as what you did may seem. I'd give it a year and pay attench to whether you think what you did made a difference. Then next spring, after you bring it out from 50F + overwintering (going from memory here, I dont have a F.Tea) then pull it, root prune, and pot in bonsai soil mix that you will have plenty of time to research and procure. There has to be a complete forum here where that type of tree is a major topic. Check it out.

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Glad you rearranged the rocks. I was worried as they looked horrible before. ;) All kidding aside, welcome to the forum!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Please better state where you are situated, since advise is relevant to location.

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fukien tea are fairly hardy plants but do want to be in a good-draining soil mix. They don't like their feet to be too wet. If you are looking to develop it, the tree will be most healthy if you remove the flowers as they emerge. That way the energy can go to the plant and the not the development of flowers. If you are above 50 deg. F at night, try to move it outside if possible. Lastly, shape new branches early as they can be someone brittle once they harden off and thus are prone to breaking when bent if you're not careful.

Best of luck and welcome to the nut-house!

Reesedog914

Seedling
Reaction score
Moving my plant outside is not possible because I live in an apartment surrounded by college kids and thieves.

I am moving back home from college into a well lit southern NJ climate. In terms of the soil, I have read before about the soil drainage and ordered some good bonsai soil from eastern leaf. It drains pretty well. In terms of stylization i'm not sure where to go. There are few examples of old fulkiens that have the S bend.

Got any links for old fulkiens in the same style as mine?

Reesedog914

Seedling
Reaction score
Also, you saying removing flowers as they emerge

does this mean as the buds grow out of the tree or as they bloom?

Top Bottom