Full circle

Shrubitoff

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Been a long long time , my old man loved bonsai and it was all around me as a young age. Changed a lot as a man over the years and I’m ready to slow down and invest time in the art and appreciate the process now. That being said I’ve been studying woody plants , trees and shrubs for a brief period for work so I’ve been immersing myself previously from and educational and horticultural standpoint. I’ve recently acquired a grafted ficus my girl had a thing for ( I know , I know tradition ugly roots blah blah ) not too concerned about the styling on that as of now I’ll give it a few seasons to grow and we what’s under the carriage when it replaces its foliage . What I would like a bit of advice on is this podocarpus I’m thinking it’s a pringles upright type variety , seems like what I’ve seen in the ornamental trade . Has what my fledgling mind perceived as a nice slant and some workable upper branches , I’d appreciate some ideas on where to go styling or wiring wise if any for the time being on this indiviual , I know it’s trunk needs time to thicken as well as the side branches before any ramification would be advisable. My curiosity lies in which isf any of those young yet to harden off branches I should train once it’s adapted to its new home . I’m in no rush I just know these have a tendency to lignify quickly , I realize the style is my choice of what I want just looking for some advice from eyes immersed into it where they see potential , thanks !

Attachments

• 905E21A6-4A6B-46A0-96BE-D2F50C6C4E2A.jpeg
    905E21A6-4A6B-46A0-96BE-D2F50C6C4E2A.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 23
  • 2604F55A-D3B1-4BDB-9A3B-35FE2CF3DDA7.jpeg
    2604F55A-D3B1-4BDB-9A3B-35FE2CF3DDA7.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 6C7DB49B-D470-48FC-B851-DE55B45EA9AC.jpeg
    6C7DB49B-D470-48FC-B851-DE55B45EA9AC.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 25

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, and welcome to the nuthouse!

My 2p/.. This is pretty much a cutting, with no prior styling done to it. As it is still such a small and young plant, you can create anything you want from it, but it is going to take a looong time. For now, I would focus on: What size do you want your bonsai to be. From there, you can go back to what size trunk do you need (Typically 1/6 - 1/12 of the heightof the tree). Then you know how much growing there is left. I would bet this is still a fair bit. As such, the current branches are probably not the ones you would use in the final design; They would be too thick, typically. So.. You need not worry about styling them too much, untill you have a plan for the future. Which would focus very much on the style of the tree and size in the future first, I would say.

Shrubitoff

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the quick reply and welcome ! I figured as much in regards to what had been done too it previously , there are one or two pruning marks here and there; I can provide some better pictures under and over the canopy tmrw, just finishing a move from ny to Colorado that I didn’t expect to go the way it did but my trees will be settled soon . So with what’s there and the strength of the main trunk already I’m thinking some sort of slanted style is in order for the bole unless I go for a chop down the road or something interesting grows out of the apex, if you think that’s correct or there is or will be more potential for another style I’d like to hear that . I do plan on giving it some time for sure to thicken up and get some character I’m not getting attached to what’s there other then the trunk.

Size wise I’m thinking komono or katade-Mochi but I’m open to suggestion. That’s basically where I’m at thus far but I’d enjoy discussing it more when you have time .

Shrubitoff

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
With what you said in mind I’m very open to suggestion or interpertation of what the crowd sees potential wise for styles with what’s there and what’s to come , then I could think about some styling suggestions on what’s there

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
With what you said in mind I’m very open to suggestion or interpertation of what the crowd sees potential wise for styles with what’s there and what’s to come , then I could think about some styling suggestions on what’s there

Hi Shrubitoff,
My 2 cents. I am sorry to be an arse, so here goes.
Firstly I agree with @leatherback and you need to give this time.
Secondly you need about 10-50 trees to learn and practice with ( if you haven’t already).
To answer the firstly piece with a bit more info. Your cutting is of a species I see a lot here in NZ, and they are notoriously slow growers. Try, when after the roots have filled this small pot, to pot on to a 5-10 litre tub (?? 1-3 gallon??) in some bark based mix and not peat based as it would keep your tub too wet. After about 5 years with maybe 1 root prune and put back into bucket ( or ground be better)for another few years. THEN show us what you have, with a bigger shaggy tree with lots of growth and a design idea or 3.
It is pointless trying to give you pointers to a design, with only a cutting ina baby pot to look at.
I am pleased you have rekindled your love of bonsai, just you need more time on the journey and lots of trees to play with and learn.
Charles

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

NY to CO! That's a crazy move!

Time to start sniffing them Junipers off the mountain!

Sorce

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome! You might find it beneficial to add your location and growing zone to your profile. It helps people tailor advice to your specific conditions. :)

Shrubitoff

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah it was a haul, especially when my girl is starting a pretty high profile job Monday and the apartment we paid for was switched and filled with roaches so I went postal ended up living in a hotel for a week . Moving into a clean townhouse today lol . I’ve already spoken to the foresrtry service office about yamadori permits once I have some more experience under my belt . Until then just letting everything grow until it gets older .
As far as the suggestion for more trees , does anyone have any suggestions for some trees I could add to th stable for more to fiddle with ? I’m in zone 5a -6b in Colorado I have a western facing open deck to offer as well as the area inside the glass doors as many feet as I’d like from that direct sun through the glass . If anyone has any ideas on perhaps some quicker growers that would fair well here , at least until i can get some natives ..... lodgepole and limber here I come

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hit your local landscape nurseries for ideas as to what does well in your zone at your elevation. What does well in zone 5 at 300 foot elevation might not do well at a mile high elevation. So be cautious taking advice from Flatlanders.

The full range of sub-tropical species are possible for indoors, either full time indoors or in for winter, out for summer sub-tropicals.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You don't have to collect natives, there are a couple of locals doing that, so you can just buy yamadori already established. Todd Schlafer, First Branch Bonsai comes to mind.

There is an active bonsai society in Denver, I think they meet at the botanical garden. Worth checking out to get a feel for the local species.

Some nurseries also raise natives, not for bonsai but for landscaping. These are good resources.

Top Bottom