Fun thing for a bonsai shelf

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That looks an ambitious but rewarding project. :)

It would be keen to utilize it to power a rainwater pump.

Thank you for sharing.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You guys do understand the energy required to pump water or to cool a fridge?
It can be done but will need a much larger turbine that this one unless your requirements are really tiny.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I meant use the direct mechanical energy.. not generating electricity... (my uses would be SUPER “micro”)but I still may be way off base. :)

...but I am interested.

...I do not.

How much?

Just curious.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It can be done but will need a much larger turbine that this one unless your requirements are really tiny.

We're going to have to settle with charging a led flashlight for Mike to find his way to the old fridge, without tripping on the cords for his outdoor lighting system!

Lol! But seriously!

Neighbor had a pinwheel spinny thing, got me thinking about using that to keep my chicken water from freezing, led down this road to seeing them generate electricity.....

I think everyone who can, should be off grid.

Maybe a little coozie cooler? I found a single can USB joint.

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When you see the size of the screws AND NUTS :eek: you'll think it's a WATCH kit.
Could be but not a surprise. I’ve worked smaller. More complex. Awhile ago I completed a Pocher 1935 Cabriolet model car. There were over 5,000 parts. Very tiny parts like assembling a spoked wheel from scratch....every spoke and connector. Lots a patience. Most of the bolts and screws were less then a millimeter thick. I have a set of very small screwdrivers and bolt wrenches. The head on most bolts was about 2 millimeters in diameter. Basically I built a car.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I dig it! Kinda like wind chimes but maybe not as obnoxious. Would be really cool if it even had a miniature squeak to it just like some of the big ones can make.
I like the miniature squeak idea. That would be perfect. I can also see me perfecting the rust impression.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I meant use the direct mechanical energy.. not generating electricity... (my uses would be SUPER “micro”)but I still may be way off base. :)

...but I am interested.
The answers are theoretically the same because the turbine harnesses power which we then convert to either electricity with a generator or to moving water with a pump.

Looks like the blades on this are 5" diameter. Calculation of the power in the wind at 20kph (about 12.5mph) for a 5" turbine gives a theoretical power of 59 watts. Efficiency of the turbine reduces that. A really good turbine coefficient would be about .3 or .4 so at 20kph wind speed we might be able to get 17 W of power.
Then attach a pump to that windmill. The pump is also not 100% efficient so you may be able to convert half of that 17W to move water. If my calculations are correct 8 Watts is about enough to lift a bucketful of water 1m every 2 minutes.
So, if you have a constant stiff wind blowing you may be able to light up a small, energy efficient light globe or pump a small amount of water a small distance.
I found a small pressure pump that draws about 30W so that windmill is going to need a very strong wind to run even the smallest pressure pump.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The answers are theoretically the same because the turbine harnesses power which we then convert to either electricity with a generator or to moving water with a pump.

Looks like the blades on this are 5" diameter. Calculation of the power in the wind at 20kph (about 12.5mph) for a 5" turbine gives a theoretical power of 59 watts. Efficiency of the turbine reduces that. A really good turbine coefficient would be about .3 or .4 so at 20kph wind speed we might be able to get 17 W of power.
Then attach a pump to that windmill. The pump is also not 100% efficient so you may be able to convert half of that 17W to move water. If my calculations are correct 8 Watts is about enough to lift a bucketful of water 1m every 2 minutes.
So, if you have a constant stiff wind blowing you may be able to light up a small, energy efficient light globe or pump a small amount of water a small distance.
I found a small pressure pump that draws about 30W so that windmill is going to need a very strong wind to run even the smallest pressure pump.

Awesome! (I will take this formula to heart) This is precisely the kind of answer i was looking for and LOVE.

:)

Top Bottom