Fun With Bald Cypress

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Well, I had a few seedlings, so I wanted to create something that you don't see all the time out of a BC. You know, the usual informal upright or the telephone pole with an osprey nest at the top standing in for a flat top. So, I bent a little movement into the seedling and I also screwed it to a board to make the roots flat. The seeds that I grew this one from came from a tree that had a naturally weep to the branches and this one seems to have the same characteristics. This is what I have so far:

DSC04690-1.jpg

Lots of Roots:

DSC04691-1.jpg

After some teasing and trimming:

DSC04693.JPG

DSC04694-1.jpg

A spin around the nebari:

DSC04695-1.jpg

DSC04696-1.jpg

DSC04697-1.jpg

DSC04699-1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04693-1.jpg
    DSC04693-1.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC04698-1.jpg
    DSC04698-1.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 7

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
The restyle, the old saying, " imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery" holds true here. I have been admiring @MACH5 's weeping BC, so I thought I would make my own. I have a long way to go, but BC grow fast, so hopefully it won't take too long.

DSC05603-1.jpg

DSC05605-1.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The restyle, the old saying, " imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery" holds true here. I have been admiring @MACH5 's weeping BC, so I thought I would make my own. I have a long way to go, but BC grow fast, so hopefully it won't take too long.

View attachment 422858

View attachment 422859
What a great direction to take it. It's going look awesome with that curvy trunk and weeping branches.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Saw Mach5 today, was a blast to watch him work. Almost won the tree he worked on 😭 My daughter enjoyed too but not as much as dad haha.

Had a great BC in the room, wasn't sure if it was his or not. I have seen the weeping one, I have one that will definitely imitate, as it is my favorite BC bonsai

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

View attachment 422858

View attachment 422859

Great start!! Wonderful movement and nebari is killer! I'll be watching it with great interest. I also happen to love its size. Looks about the same as mine?

Saw Mach5 today, was a blast to watch him work. Almost won the tree he worked on 😭 My daughter enjoyed too but not as much as dad haha.

Had a great BC in the room, wasn't sure if it was his or not. I have seen the weeping one, I have one that will definitely imitate, as it is my favorite BC bonsai

Thank you for coming! You guys were a great audience! Had a lot of fun.

The BC that was there was brought for the afternoon workshop. The tree had naturally weeping branches which is a great plus! We did not do much work on it since it was going to be exhibited in just a few weeks. I did suggest and planting angle change and a few other adjustments but all for next year.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Great start!! Wonderful movement and nebari is killer! I'll be watching it with great interest. I also happen to love its size. Looks about the same as mine?

Thank you for coming! You guys were a great audience! Had a lot of fun.

The BC that was there was brought for the afternoon workshop. The tree had naturally weeping branches which is a great plus! We did not do much work on it since it was going to be exhibited in just a few weeks. I did suggest and planting angle change and a few other adjustments but all for next year.

Thanks, Sergio, I think it is about the same size as yours, probably 28 inches for a guess.

This one has some weeping tendencies, not to severe like the weeping cultivars. It was grown from seed that came from a cone I got at a botanical gardens somewhere. The parent tree's branches were very weepy.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks, Sergio, I think it is about the same size as yours, probably 28 inches for a guess.

This one has some weeping tendencies, not to severe like the weeping cultivars. It was grown from seed that came from a cone I got at a botanical gardens somewhere. The parent tree's branches were very weepy.

Ah ok! Actually mine is a bit smaller at around 17".

Good going man!!

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom