Fun with Cotoneaster

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
They're fun trees, easy to grow, style and wire - everyone should have one or two. The small ones were propagated from cuttings of the larger one. The larger one from an air layer of a ground grew tree I dug up - see the really lanky tree first pic is in it's second year - the moss round the base is to keep the roots moist while the layer's roots colonise the pot so please don't say 'weed it' - it's meant to be like that (there's even have a hawthorn seedling in there for the eagled eyed posters). The chunky base (for a coto) I've carved and ground layered for a sumo style tree - I'll show this one in the future when the pot is removed from around the trunk and the tree looks presentable. Several other cotos are also on a rock planting which is also looking half decent now. Cheers. These are destined as sundries trees btw so I am enjoying them while I can ;-)

Original raw material, dug up and potted
2018-05-21_09-05-17 by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

The bigger one air layered from above
IMG_20180521_204116_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

Lovely, bright flowers
IMG_20180521_204142_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

IMG_20180521_204135_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

Coto Family - air layer and cuttings
IMG_20180521_204537_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very nice!
They look like azaleas with crab apple flowers! Hahaha!

I've always liked them, gotta get one some day....

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
They're fun trees, easy to grow, style and wire - everyone should have one or two. The small ones were propagated from cuttings of the larger one. The larger one from an air layer of a ground grew tree I dug up - see the really lanky tree first pic is in it's second year - the moss round the base is to keep the roots moist while the layer's roots colonise the pot so please don't say 'weed it' - it's meant to be like that (there's even have a hawthorn seedling in there for the eagled eyed posters). The chunky base (for a coto) I've carved and ground layered for a sumo style tree - I'll show this one in the future when the pot is removed from around the trunk and the tree looks presentable. Several other cotos are also on a rock planting which is also looking half decent now. Cheers. These are destined as sundries trees btw so I am enjoying them while I can ;-)

Original raw material, dug up and potted
2018-05-21_09-05-17 by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

The bigger one air layered from above
IMG_20180521_204116_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

Lovely, bright flowers
IMG_20180521_204142_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

IMG_20180521_204135_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

Coto Family - air layer and cuttings
IMG_20180521_204537_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr
Very nice "family" you have there.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do they have thorns?
Also, what is that clip on your avatar???

No thorns, semi evergreen, even here in the UK. The clip is just something random i picked up from the internet - the 'Doh' moment everyone has had at some point doing bonsai.....

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok, the most important thing is, how do you pronounce 'Cotoneaster'???
I must have heard at least 3 or 4 different ways to say that name...

Cotton-eesteer....
Cot-own-ee-ass-ter....
Cotton-ee-ass-ter...
Co-ton-eesteer...

I know I doesn't matter, but I'm confused....lol!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ok, the most important thing is, how do you pronounce 'Cotoneaster'???
I must have heard at least 3 or 4 different ways to say that name...

Cotton-eesteer....
Cot-own-ee-ass-ter....
Cotton-ee-ass-ter...
Co-ton-eesteer...

I know I doesn't matter, but I'm confused....lol!

No 2 is how I say it.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ahh, ok!
Thanks for clearing that up for me!
I'm putting cotoneaster on my list to look for...so far that list is 4 trees long.
JBP, Azalea, Taxus, Cotoneaster.

I've liked them for years... Cool plants for sure!

They're dead easy mate and have a long season of interest - flowers, berries and great Autumn colour for the deciduous types and a delicate Winter image. I have another cotoneaster that has striking Autumnal colours - a RoR one I grew from seed that my wife calls 'The Lizard'. The entire tree apart from the first 2 inches is a thread graft regrown after the original trunk was killed by a fungus. It'll never win best in show but I keep it because it survived my noobie hamfistedness all those years ago and grew back again!

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have two myself, and three of their close cousins, the pyracantha. Love them! Most members of family Rosaceae can be abused and they come back for more like little sadists. Here in zone 6, they are semi-evergreen.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
That cotoneaster makes mine look even more pathetic, lol.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet trees! I have some Strieb's Findling Cotoneaster that grows in my front yard. It gets only about 2 inches tall. I'm airlayering a few nice stems.

Top Bottom