Fun with River Birch

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Took a trip to Walmart yesterday and, of course, came home with a tree. Actually, 2 river birches sold together for $20. Kind of stick straight, so I will make the larger one into a double trunk given its really low budding. I didn't really have a need for another nondescript birch, so I though I'd have some fun and play around. Inspired by Mach5's "weeping bald cypress", I decided to start developing a weeping birch. Not sure where I'll take it from here (will need to heal wire scars as I used too thick wire), but will let it grow this year and wire new shoots as they grow out. Perhaps I'll cut the branches back next year and start ramifying them into a more substantial weeping canopy. I'd like to wire some movement into the trunk as well.

Attachments

• birch.jpg
    birch.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 33

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Depends on how big you want them to be I’d grow them out first.. or if you can ever collect one in the future. River birch are native in PA so I’d assume native in low land areas in NY too further in land. They are great , have small leaves naturally and are highly food tolerant so they like water.

Top Bottom