Fungicide and insect control application

MartyS

Seed
Reaction score
I have been doing bonsai for 21 years (11 in South Florida & 10 in Northern N.J.). I currently have 12 old medium - large very fine trees ( 2 Black pines, 1 Zushio and 1 Scotts pine, 2 Gingkos, 1 Boxwood, 1 Coastal oak, 2 Junipers, 1Japanese Maple & 1 Azelea). My outdoor raised deck is 15 feet away from a forest.
In Florida, the only issue was spider mites, easily handled with daily spraying of foliage with garden hose nozzle and /or insecticidal soap (Safer). In Northern New Jersey, I was warned about fungus and accordingly was applying Daconil about every 2 weeks from late April to July 1 and then about every 3-4 weeks. I also apply Bayer 3 in 1 spray to all (except the Maple) in early and late spring and then in the fall.
For the last 2 years, after listening to a well known National expert, I have been preventatively applying Cleary's to the deciduous trees, Daconil for the pines and Mancozeb for the junipers. I don't mind applying the Bayer 3 in 1 three times a season, but the individualization of fungicide products is a soul crushing detestable P.I.A.
Knock wood, never had a problem and I want to go back to just the Daconil and Bayer 3 in 1.
Any comments? Many thanks.

Tbwilson33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would switch the Bayer with mancozeb and stick to the danconil I use mancozeb on everything maples and pines and have had no problems. It’s an extremely broad spectrum fungicide and I believe it has less phototoxiicty then the Bayer 3 and 1 which I believe is thiophenate methyl?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
We do a very proactive approach where I work for landscape trees. While I do it everyday I’m not 100% convinced a preventative approach is really necessary if cultural aspects are managed correctly. That being said I don’t think it’s non effective; just maybe not necessary to do such an intensive IPM unless there is an identified problem.

Top Bottom