Fungus amongus!

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20230802_134810.jpg

Is this armillaria coming up? This is where I planted a bulb I think it is dahlia I see something trying to come out. Is it likely to have come from the bulb or maybe I nick a root with shovel when planting. Only older tree that coul have roots here is a golden rain tree. Healthy, but I see they are resistant so maybe it can grow on roots. I hate to think I can get bulbs in the mail that are infected.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Uggggh I am freaking out I set up temporary shade around it to get these guys bigger for identification, since they shrank in the sun since this morning, but that is probably not helpful, lol.
I sent an email to the county extension but they probably couldn't say where it is coming from, but maybe can id a sample.
So I need to dig and see what it is attached to.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They look very like Armilllaria mellea-AKA Honeyfungus which is bad news in any garden
Thanks, I see they are attached to nothing but a thin layer of mulch that got buried in soil. I did have a dying oak out front 20 years ago. It is said these spores can live 50 years. The wood was very spalted and interesting so I used the pieces to prop up flowerpots until they fully rotted. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom