Fungus amungus

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Hello
Is there a good fungal treatment for both pines and maples? They are the majority of my collection, and both are showing signs. I have copper and neem oil.
Thanks,

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Fact is these are two totally different plants with different fungal problems. While copper will handle the widest range of both plants it will not fix all fungal problems for both plants.

Tbwilson33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mancozeb might fix both problems the trick is finding out what you have for disease. I do this for work and sometimes you still need to send a sample to a lab.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This post has a bad underlying assumption: the multitudes of different remedies in the marketplace are not effective enough to warrant his use. The only way to surely cure an ailment is to diagnose it and treat it accordingly, all independent of how we wish the world would be. Keep your copper and Neem, just in case an ailment requires it. In the meantime, diagnose each new affliction and treat it with what is appropriate.

Tbwilson33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This post has a bad underlying assumption: the multitudes of different remedies in the marketplace are not effective enough to warrant his use. The only way to surely cure an ailment is to diagnose it and treat it accordingly, all independent of how we wish the world would be. Keep your copper and Neem, just in case an ailment requires it. In the meantime, diagnose each new affliction and treat it with what is appropriate.

So your recommending treatment of disease after pin point diognosis rather then Preventative treatment with a broad spectrum fungicide? That’s what I took from your post
You kind of lost me with how you worded your post but that’s like saying let’s put a stint in your heart once we know you have a collapsed artery rather then treatment with high blood pressure meds.

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Preventative treatment is left mostly to systemics. There are some, even lots of recurring problems that are sprayed for every season, like anthracnose on Cornus florida or I forget what Crab-apples get every year, and they need to be sprayed by mid June (here, in Detroit), but you don't spray the whole forest. But again, each problem is a separate problem, dealt with individually. You can use copper and neem in lots of situations, but individual species get different diseases and pests and there is no good shotgun approach.

Tbwilson33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Preventative treatment is left mostly to systemics. There are some, even lots of recurring problems that are sprayed for every season, like anthracnose on Cornus florida or I forget what Crab-apples get every year, and they need to be sprayed by mid June (here, in Detroit), but you don't spray the whole forest. But again, each problem is a separate problem, dealt with individually. You can use copper and neem in lots of situations, but individual species get different diseases and pests and there is no good shotgun approach.

Systemics are treatment not preventative.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Systemics are treatment not preventative.
They are precisely preventative, anticipatory, or proactive. They may not prevent want you want prevented, but that's different. Strategic verses tactical. Spraying is treatment.

Tbwilson33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are precisely preventative, anticipatory, or proactive. They may not prevent want you want prevented, but that's different. Strategic verses tactical. Spraying is treatment.[/QUOTE

They have spray systemics so is it then a proactive treatment? I don’t know buddy... your confusing the hell out of me and I spray and apply pesticides and fungicides for a living

Tbwilson33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is systemic is any fungicide or pesticide that is actually taken into the tree from foolishness back drench or roots. If it’s not a systemic it’s just a topical application that just kills the fungi on the cuticle of the leaf. That’s why I’m telling you systemics are a treatment and topical applications are preventative. Example of a topical treatment is copper soap. And clearys.is a systemic both can be sprayed clearys can be a granular application. It all depends on what the tree does what the application.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I read somewhere that fertilzer with an amount of sulfur components helps a lot to keep the trees stronger to make various fungi at bay. And a strong, healthy tree is less prone to bugs invasion...

Top Bottom