Fungus growing on Miyasama Yatsubusa Trunk

ichoudhury

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Some of you may remember a post where I stated, I had two of these very beautiful Miasma Yasubusa Kaede (Taiwanese Trident Maple). Well, I did loose one due to my callousness :):)eek::oops::(:mad::mad:)but one you see in this pic (Old Pic) growing fairly well (I actually sort of left it alone and often forget about it for months ... growing on its own).
I
index.php

I did prune it down to its original size and it was 4" from the ground at that time, but has grown back since :rolleyes:

foto2015-08-0110-21-39.jpg

So I just discovered this Fungus like growth in the trunk and upper root area. I am not sure if this is some sort of Ecto Mycorrhizae but possibly pest than beneficial. I need to act fast if this is something I need to prevent, so need your input to make my decision. (Should I wait and see, or try to peel those things off right away ?

foto2015-08-0110-23-39.jpg
foto2015-08-0110-34-24.jpg
foto2015-08-0110-36-08.jpg

It is very hot and humid here in Georgia with burst of rain every now and then. As you can see, the soil is moist and my sprinkler also added to the equation. So I've been noticing Mushroom growing in the surrounding vicinity .. so one of my thought is to pull leaves and perhaps even trim some branches to let in more sun which may kill/remove it naturally? What's your thought?

I have hardly been looking at this guy but don't want to loose it either. I have not been having very good luck propagating despite getting some to grow for a little while and dying without any rhyme or reason. I don't want this one to die on me. :(

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you should spray something antifungal, I have been spraying with daconil and malathion combo with good results after I saw it in Peter Teas blog.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Your leaves look healthy. I do not think you have a problem.

The visible mushrooms are a temporary indicator of the fungus living below the soil. If this mushroom was a pathogenic mushroom, your tree would have been dead a long time ago, long before the fungus ''fruited''. The mushrooms are the reproductive phase, and only are around a few days a year.

I think there is no need to spray, nothing to worry about.

So don't worry, this fungus is either a saprophyte, breaking down decaying wood and organic matter in the soil, and not causing any problem for the tree. Or it is mycorrhizal, living with and helping the tree.

I would not disturb you soil ecosystem by using a fungicide.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Would have to agree with Leo here. Tree is obviously healthy. Not all fungi are bad. No fungicide needed. However if removing the fungi manually will help you sleep better. Go for it. No harm no foul. Probably unnecessary however.

ichoudhury

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Actually I've started to observe the fungus to shrink and nearly disappear since I've stopped watering the plant (from the day I first discovered it). Tree still look very healthy as it rained couple of times in between anyway. Thanks for the advise!

Top Bottom