fungus lichen ? on eastern white pines

Fegoat

Seedling
Reaction score
This yellow stuff appeared on my 2 eastern white pines
its on the bark and between the plates of the bark. and it is dry.

what is it? is it dangerous?

Attachments

• IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 29

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's a fungus and it eats dead wood like bark and all the wood below a leaking roof - I found lots of it throughout my life.
I'm not sure how to treat it though.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Appears to be "slimey" mold growing on dead bark IMO. Should find dead wood underneath it:confused:. Normally only grows under damp/wet conditions. Not dangerous as grows on already dead parts of tree near substrate.

Fegoat

Seedling
Reaction score
that is weird. i dont water the tree, only the rain is enough.
i dont want it to eat the nice flaky bark. would a mix of lime sulphur/water 1-10 kill the fungus?
Appears to be "slimey" mold growing on dead bark IMO. Should find dead wood underneath it:confused:. Normally only grows under damp/wet conditions. Not dangerous as grows on already dead parts of tree near substrate.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
that is weird. i dont water the tree, only the rain is enough.
i dont want it to eat the nice flaky bark. would a mix of lime sulphur/water 1-10 kill the fungus?
1:10 will turn the bark white for a couple years.
Spraying with a pinch of copper sulphate in a bottle should do the trick without turning the color on anything. A lil drop of liquid soap will help it penetrate the bark.
Rotate the tree so that the fungus is burned by the sun as well.

Fegoat

Seedling
Reaction score
i will do that then.
and youre right. on both trees it grows on the north side of the tree

Fegoat

Seedling
Reaction score
1:10 will turn the bark white for a couple years.
Spraying with a pinch of copper sulphate in a bottle should do the trick without turning the color on anything. A lil drop of liquid soap will help it penetrate the bark.
Rotate the tree so that the fungus is burned by the sun as well.
i got some copper sulphate in crystal form from a friend. i diluted them in water and have a saturated solution.
what ratio should i mix it with water?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I use something like two match heads worth of powder per 1L bottle.
If you have a saturated solution, half a teaspoon of that solution per gallon of water.. I guess? Maybe start with a little less.
My water usually gets a blueish hue but stays mostly transparent. Since you'll be spraying wood, what matters is that the spray dries and the wood takes up the copper sulphate. I think it's safer to apply a little less, but treat more often than it is to spray a high dose and risk doing something unwanted.

Top Bottom