Fungus or scale on bejimina

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does anyone recognize this leaf affliction on the long branch where the leaf has curled up and it is darker along the center vein? The rest of the ficus in the enclosure vary from healthy to “loving it.”

Attachments

• A4BF1F58-6C51-4ACA-AE12-40BFAA5BB292.jpeg
    A4BF1F58-6C51-4ACA-AE12-40BFAA5BB292.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 37

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Same soils?

That one looks a little wet, but check for mites, if you have mites on that one, they are getting their boarding passes for the others checked RIGHT NOW!

Kill them!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This one hadn’t been repotted with the rest at the end of the outdoor season since it already had a mop strand in place for my vacation watering system. So I think you are on to something. I may have put some akadama in it’s mix originally which did well for a while, but I am leaning towards unnecessary for my indoor crew. The benjaminas never seem quite right in the high humidity enclosure like the willow leafs, but it’ll have to do for when I go to Brasil for the holidays. The question is now, do I spray and or repot this one in it’s weakened state? It is still showing small signs of healthy (so far) growth. There are a lot of variables as I have pretty much updated the whole setup this cold season. The willow leaf love it, nice red new growth.

Attachments

• 2062FB53-EAB5-47CE-B5C3-CAC531E77598.jpeg
    2062FB53-EAB5-47CE-B5C3-CAC531E77598.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This one hadn’t been repotted with the rest at the end of the outdoor season since it already had a mop strand in place for my vacation watering system. So I think you are on to something. I may have put some akadama in it’s mix originally which did well for a while, but I am leaning towards unnecessary for my indoor crew. The benjaminas never seem quite right in the high humidity enclosure like the willow leafs, but it’ll have to do for when I go to Brasil for the holidays. The question is now, do I spray and or repot this one in it’s weakened state? It is still showing small signs of healthy (so far) growth. There are a lot of variables as I have pretty much updated the whole setup this cold season. The willow leaf love it, nice red new growth... benjamina, not so much.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are on to something with the water thought, but it seems the healthy growth earlier from the water, may have invited mites, if so, any flip of a damaged leaf that is still a meal will find em.

This is where the whole thing gets fun!

Cuz good watering led to health which attracted bugs so now overwatering is a problem but it also caused another problem and if only one is addressed.....blah!

If that thing is staying wet, mites or not, especially since it is not recently repotted....

I'd defoliate it and just leave it in a moderate area till you get back...

With any luck, it'll be putting out new leaves just as you return.

Sorce

wrcmad

Yamadori
Reaction score
From someone who lives in an area where figs grow in the wild - moisture is not as necessary as warmth. In fact, I let my figs dry out a little, and don't keep them constantly wet - they like a damp, very "airy" soil to let oxygen to the roots, a tonne of fertiliser, and warmth, warmth, warmth. If they are constantly wet, it can be detrimental to their health. I water them a bit like I water my elms... but with a heap more warmth and sunshine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd defoliate it and just leave it in a moderate area till you get back...
Not a bad idea, but it'll be a four week trip... No such thing as moderate and indoors for that long. I have a three in one systemic that says it has mitacide in it that knocked out some webbage earlier in the season, although I'm not seeing webs now. I'm thinking spray now just in case and repot in a week or so after keeping it on the dry side. It's buddy put out a lot of only slightly unhealthy looking growth under these lights. I have already moved my fan around a little for a less restricted intake, and I'm hoping that helps.

Top Bottom