Other than this the tree appears to be in good health

When i touch it it falls of like its dried out

Anyone a clue on what this could be?

Pic:

20180922_121803.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It might be a long shot, but when plants are over fertilized their tips 'burn' causing similar issues.
Otherwise I'd say it hints towards overwatering maybe?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The purple almost looks like the color some of my junipers get when they're cold. REAL COLD. It's their winter color.
You living in zone 8 I have no idea.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The purple almost looks like the color some of my junipers get when they're cold. REAL COLD. It's their winter color.
You living in zone 8 I have no idea.

Yeah my squamata does that too but it didnt
Freeze yet and it only happens when realy cold

@Wires_Guy_wires
Over fertilizing is unlikely yes
Overwatering unlikely too
What i find strange is the purple color instead of the just brown

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Purple tends to happen with nitrogen blockades/inavailability and physical stress like cold or extreme bending (in rare cases). Anthocyan pigments (purple) are made for protection and reduction of stress. But that souldn't mean it breaks off that easily.

Weird. I hope someone can lay a finger on this, I'd like to know what causes this.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Purple tends to happen with nitrogen blockades/inavailability and physical stress like cold or extreme bending (in rare cases). Anthocyan pigments (purple) are made for protection and reduction of stress. But that souldn't mean it breaks off that easily.

Weird. I hope someone can lay a finger on this, I'd like to know what causes this.

Is being rootbound a posibility then?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Additional info:
The tree hasnt been wired yet or pruned recently
Nothing changed in the care nor didnt it switched to another place
It does started to produce the pollen balls for next year i think
Im not to worried yet tough

Could it hurt to spray the foliage with a nitrogen dilution?
Beside the anti fungal does it also kills mites?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Could be diplodia tip blight, which turns tips purple. I’ve only seen this on Pinus and Cedrus though. There other types of tip blights that could fit the bill.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From all the tip blight stuff i just looked up is said the symptons start in spring but its fall now over here so that doesnt realy seem to fit the bill
Asked the guy im taking classes at if he might know something

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Google shows images with the same damage so that could be it
Now i got to figure out how to get rid of them :eek:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now i got to figure out how to get rid of them :eek:
I have not found a solid way. Systemic insecticide and spraying multiple times in summer.

There is a good product for it, but a private person cannot buy it in EU. You need to have a registered compagny, and a licence for the use of special toxins. Is you find someone who knows how to rid them, let me know.

I was thinking asking at Deshima Bonsai whether there are options from his side.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have not found a solid way. Systemic insecticide and spraying multiple times in summer.

There is a good product for it, but a private person cannot buy it in EU. You need to have a registered compagny, and a licence for the use of special toxins. Is you find someone who knows how to rid them, let me know.

I was thinking asking at Deshima Bonsai whether there are options from his side.

Well my uncle has his own hoveniers company so i guess i could ask if hes allowed to order it or knows how to get rid of them, whats the specific product name?

Ill go and search for more info
I guess for now the quickest way is to prune off the twigs affected so the miners cant go further inwards ?
Ill start giving a pesticide soon then and continue treatment in spring if i find anything that works ill let you know

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The stuff i found is called tracer. De dutch distributer would not sell it to me. (Well, I would not sell it to ME I suppose)

Google results sais.. Tracer® is a suspension concentrate containing 480 g/litre (44.03% w/w) spinosad

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
guess for now the quickest way is to prune off the twigs affected so the miners cant go further inwards ?
Tried that. And the trouble is.. once you see damage, the caterpilar has left the shoot, if i understood correctly. In my case, it did not work. I have been doing a 6 week cycle with the regular "systemic" you can get of the shelve. Not sure i have it beat. In spring I will know.

Where did you get this tree? I bought a tree in Emmen which i thought was the host. Now I am wondering whether the recent hot summers are the cause of the outbreak. You are the third person in a few weeks with these symptoms, and more experienced hands in.my club had never seen it..

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tried that. And the trouble is.. once you see damage, the caterpilar has left the shoot, if i understood correctly. In my case, it did not work. I have been doing a 6 week cycle with the regular "systemic" you can get of the shelve. Not sure i have it beat. In spring I will know.

Where did you get this tree? I bought a tree in Emmen which i thought was the host. Now I am wondering whether the recent hot summers are the cause of the outbreak. You are the third person in a few weeks with these symptoms, and more experienced hands in.my club had never seen it..

Bought this tree in spring this year from ruud lagas but since yesterday i noticed the foliage but probably its been this way for a while already im looking for their natural enemy's

Top Bottom