Before and after of a few moves to bring it further along. Satisfied for now, hopefully get some budding up top to make that area better but I’m guessing this will be the rough design to try to refine.
Another shot trying to match the viewing angle of the old 2014 pic because I find it fun to compare over the span of time. The main trunk bend seems to be rebounding, hope it’s done, probably had the guy wires holding that bend on for at least 6 years.
I’m quite pleased, everything on the tree from the sharp bend upwards was nothing more than a tiny twig when the tree was first collected so it’s nice to see it come by together with a decent image and gain some maturity after all the growing, cutting back and rough manipulations. It still has a ways to go and in hindsight I would make some different choices along the way but I’m hopeful that it will improve fairly quickly from here.
I do try to reply to people, don’t always see it unless the reply button was used though...
Sometimes I mean to and then forget...
So, yeah I could see what you mean in the pic and had to go look at the tree. In reality it seems ok. I did give the pigtails of a guywire a few twists. It was placed a year ago and was aluminum which always stretches so...
I nearly notched the lower trunk when I bent that but opted for just increasing it a bit every year instead. Truthfully I’m not fully sold on notching as being a great idea, got any pics of a notched spruce or dougy a few years after the fact? I’d like to see how well it healed back together and appears.
As for the sacrifice top, it pretty much been through that already you can see from the pics above. The entire canopy was grown out of something that was no more than a tiny twig upon collection and the trunk was stovepipe straight from the jinn upwards. Also it’s already dangerously close to outpacing the bottom at the second bend. Took a pic that makes it look like reverse taper, it’s not but I don’t want to encourage it any further! I think it will slowly thicken up top anyways.
And here she is all fluffed out with new growth. Frontish, back, side. Sure I could tweak the image more with wire for the moment but the real improvements will come with time and strategic growth maintenance now. I hope I can pull it off. Basically I think I would like to pull it all in a bit tighter especially the apex and extend the lower left a bit. There are still some indecisive points too.