Funky dougy

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good. The foliage really accentuates that brilliant curve.

Thanks Tycoss.
I’m quite pleased, everything on the tree from the sharp bend upwards was nothing more than a tiny twig when the tree was first collected so it’s nice to see it come by together with a decent image and gain some maturity after all the growing, cutting back and rough manipulations. It still has a ways to go and in hindsight I would make some different choices along the way but I’m hopeful that it will improve fairly quickly from here.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One point please. Upper trunk has too smooth curve. Could be notched/bent;)? Maybe two points. Consideration of sacrifice apex for more trunk size?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One point please. Upper trunk has too smooth curve. Could be notched/bent;)? Maybe two points. Consideration of sacrifice apex for more trunk size?

I do try to reply to people, don’t always see it unless the reply button was used though...

Sometimes I mean to and then forget...

So, yeah I could see what you mean in the pic and had to go look at the tree. In reality it seems ok. I did give the pigtails of a guywire a few twists. It was placed a year ago and was aluminum which always stretches so...

I nearly notched the lower trunk when I bent that but opted for just increasing it a bit every year instead. Truthfully I’m not fully sold on notching as being a great idea, got any pics of a notched spruce or dougy a few years after the fact? I’d like to see how well it healed back together and appears.

As for the sacrifice top, it pretty much been through that already you can see from the pics above. The entire canopy was grown out of something that was no more than a tiny twig upon collection and the trunk was stovepipe straight from the jinn upwards. Also it’s already dangerously close to outpacing the bottom at the second bend. Took a pic that makes it look like reverse taper, it’s not but I don’t want to encourage it any further! I think it will slowly thicken up top anyways.
F45BBD35-9095-4931-A118-503E2FBCFA86.jpeg

And here she is all fluffed out with new growth. Frontish, back, side. Sure I could tweak the image more with wire for the moment but the real improvements will come with time and strategic growth maintenance now. I hope I can pull it off. Basically I think I would like to pull it all in a bit tighter especially the apex and extend the lower left a bit. There are still some indecisive points too. A728ABF0-14FD-4D53-9CD5-9F545AF2F2B1.jpeg4AE58653-304F-4426-89B8-D66C6A2CCB11.jpeg6CE2FCBC-85B0-4962-8EE9-F198D780059E.jpeg

Top Bottom