Funky leaves on Bougainvillea

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I got this bougie from @aml1014 awhile back when he had his moving sale. I haven't done anything to it besides watering and fertilizing. It is growing, but the new leaves are different than the mature leaves. They are kind of ruffled. I've inspected the plant, and can't find any evidence of insects. I tapped the branches over white paper, no black spots. It seems to be thriving, but I am concerned about the unusual new growth. Any ideas? pink bougie2.jpg pink bougie.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Might be watering a little too much. Nothing to worry about. Get it in the sun. It will appreciate it.:cool:
You're probably right about the watering. It's still in the nursery soil it came in, and holds water longer than my other ones. Everything is on the south side of my house and gets decent afternoon sun. But yesterday I took them all off of the stand and set them farther out on the patio to get a few more hours of sun. When we were outside watching TV last night, my husband made the comment "that's not a good place for those" :rolleyes: We'll see....

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did see that the soil looked like it would hold lots of water. They can handle being a little drier than you would expect if your not familiar with it's horticulture needs.
Being a little dry seems to encourage flowering, but that's purely anecdotal.:confused::cool::D:D:D:D:D:D
Observe it's reaction to it's new sun exposure and adjust your watering accordingly. ;):):)

Good luck and make a cocktail!!!:confused::confused::confused::D:D:D:D:D:D

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sun and less water, let the top inch or two of the substrate dry. The Sun will promote flowering, shade will promote foliage. They grow best in a very loose mix and root bound. If the soil is compacted slip pot it into a slightly bigger container after just lightly raking the outer roots into a loose mix.

Grimmy

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@sorce you should just use your SVG's

@Lobaeux Damn! I have the same issues here Iguana, lizards and squirrels. I like the pot though!

It is amazing how little water they will take. When it's in the 90's here assuming there is no rain I only water mine once a day. Been thriving and had one flower.....but then a fat lizard broke it off :mad:

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It is amazing how little water they will take. When it's in the 90's here assuming there is no rain I only water mine once a day

This is one of the reasons I always try to get Bougies out of nursery soil as soon as I can and if the season is right then no point bothering with a months acclimatisation, by far the biggest issue I have had with them is over watering soggy soil and a good bonsai mix is so much more predictable and controllable.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Starfox You are so right.

Just to throw this out there:
It's 90 today, 57% humidity and constant breeze.........I haven't watered it. Last time it got water was rain yesterday morning. so easy to care for. I have the bougy in lava,akadama and pumice with a PINCH of Pine bark LOL.

Here it is before the lizard got to it:
20170514_144843.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Just an update, as it sits today. The leaves are still kind of ruffly, and waxier than my other varieties. But it seems happy enough. rin jin pink.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The leaves are still kind of ruffly

One we have does that on the leafs closest to the Bracts while the others look flat. Seems normal here... I'd take a picture but I probably should cut off the foliage that got a tad of overspray from Oven Cleaner first :p

Grimmy

Top Bottom