Funky looking Ficus microcarpa

Reaction score
Should I just leave the existing leaves alone? From what I have been reading in other threads, I know I need to increase the humidity and fertilize. That one branch sprouted 5 or 6 new leaves in the last month.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you! ficusmicrocarpa.jpgficusmicrocarpaaerialbud.jpg

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome! Best advice I can give you is to put it outside. This is a very weak tree. It needs full sun and good soil. These ficus are often potted in some pretty moisture heavy material.

If it was mine, I'd carefully water it to be sure it doesn't rot out, and keep it outside until it pushes a new big flush of leaves. Once it's there, I'd repot into good soil.

Have fun, and get more trees!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
New growth in the last month is good but the shoot looks long and floppy possibly indicating not enough light.
Ficus microcarpa are quite OK indoors all year with good light and humidity.

A tree with just one shoot is not really strong and healthy. I would try to find a better location. Fertilize and maintain adequate water. Let the shoot grow for now despite the tree looking untidy and odd. More leaves = more food production and healthier tree. A thicker trunk won't hurt either and allowing growth will thicken the new trunk.
When it appears stronger you can then chop the trunk to get branching. With good light, good fert and good watering you can then continue to trim as new shoots extend to drive further branching.
In a few years you should have a real tree shaped ficus.

mickey12

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Not trying to put you down or anything but do you really think it’s worth your while to work on a ginseng ficus with no potential of becoming anything resembling a bonsai.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom