Funky palmatum

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I bought this off of one of the facebook auction groups and have a plan for it. I just want to know what you guys think.

29495802_2059460211008778_5268551501320775563_n.jpg29497140_2059460214342111_557990121311977372_n (1).jpg

I think I can layer here

layer.jpg

and cut here, assuming the roots cooperate when the planting angle is changed (the picture appears to be at an angle) and end up with two trees with good movement low

chop.jpg

Paint tells me the two trees would roughly look like this

layers.png

I struggle with verts in paint but would like to see what you guys think and if you see anything different.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dig the plan but .. ..

I'd cut all the unneeded growth out from in between the 2.
Maybe deal with that trident at the far end this year....

Control it all year....

And question next year wether to layer it or wait one more year.

Sorce

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I dig the plan but .. ..

I'd cut all the unneeded growth out from in between the 2.
Maybe deal with that trident at the far end this year....

Control it all year....

And question next year wether to layer it or wait one more year.

Sorce
Fair enough. It does look like it could stand to grow a little. I'm young, I can deal with larger trees for now. I'll definitely take care of those branches when it comes. I will be moving in a couple weeks. Will hopefully be able to have a grow bed at new place, may put it in there for a year or three.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Is there a particular reason? Not worth the time?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would only "grow it out" if it needs to be bigger for the leaf size.

Other than that, a little growth would be just to power it thru layering..

More accurately, unknown future growth you must control to keep pretty while allowing you the said power.

Since we don't know how long it may take to get to this position we can't time stamp it.

Just observe.

Curios what Brian thinks.....

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I wouldn’t.
Me either. Attempting the air layer will likely ruin the material. Instead of two better trees, or even one better tree, you'll likely end up with maybe one or two mediocre trees and you'll waste at least a year trying... my 0.02.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wouldn't either...you have a chance at developing quirky character with what you have.

I once listened to a video Ryan Neil did...he commented so many wish to take one tree with character to make two trees which lose what the initial tree had to begin with. Instead of just...respecting the tree.

This tree though young has more potential as is...just my 2 cents.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I can agree with that statement @Dav4 . Maybe for now I will remove the branches that will cause reverse taper and go from there. I don't have it my hands yet so I can't really take a good look at it and decide what course to take.

I appreciate all the input and I will defer to those more experienced than I am and not layer. However, if I were to leave the tree as is @Cadillactaste I am not sure how I would go about branching without having at least a couple that are crossing. That's just based on these photos though, so I'll know more when it arrives.

Again, thanks for looking. I don't have a really good avenue for learning via interaction other than what I get on this forum so I appreciate it all. I hope to go north a bit and attend one or two of Adair's classes sometime soon.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agreeing with the others here. Dont fix what aint broke.
Change angle of tree (may be late now because I dont know your area)
I am seeing a cascade right there......
Branch at the base can be used to thicken it up and get lopped off later (if you dont mind a scar).

Looking good....
The others are warning you to keep growth tight as these things tend to explode when they grow and you get long internodes. Keep us posted

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@shimbrypaku and @Cadillactaste
Yups thats what I recon......
With the size and shape I dont think an airlayer is really going to give you anything spectacular.

Ps: Wondering how much that little puppy set you back....monetarily speaking

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not worth the time?
IMHO, the question is only whether it is 'worth the water'. Except for watering, you don't have to do anything. It can just sit out of the way until you've figured out what you want to do.

You bought this 'monstrosity' for a reason. If it is now a mystery, put down the pot and back away!

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
It is frankly too small to air layer, along with all the other reasons that have been given.

It is a pretty tortured little maple, which is not necessarily a typical growth habit for them. I appreciate funky but it will take a deft hand to make this look natural. Not at all impossible and I have similarly challenging ones, but it is a challenge.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IMHO, the question is only whether it is 'worth the water'. Except for watering, you don't have to do anything. It can just sit out of the way until you've figured out what you want to do.

You bought this 'monstrosity' for a reason. If it is now a mystery, put down the pot and back away!
내말이, whats the rush.....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm very new to Bnut, but I would say that it is a pleasingly quirky little tree just how it is; maybe wait until you are actually holding it in your hands and then study it further. Sometimes things can appear different in person.

Good luck!

Top Bottom