Funny perspective

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I was showing my new girlfriend some pictures of bonsai that inspire me yesterday. She was fascinated by the big Kimura style junipers with the wild deadwood. She had trouble understanding when I was explaining that the white portion was deadwood. She says, "so you kill part of the tree to make it beautiful?" "Uh. Exactly." :p

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I was showing my new girlfriend some pictures of bonsai that inspire me yesterday. She was fascinated by the big Kimura style junipers with the wild deadwood. She had trouble understanding when I was explaining that the white portion was deadwood. She says, "so you kill part of the tree to make it beautiful?" "Uh. Exactly." :p

My wife always says there should be the equivalent of PETA for trees, not allowing bonsais

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My daughter's friend always asks me if it hurts the trees when I prune them. I tell her no, it's like cutting your fingernails.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I moved into a Townhouse development last November and met a lot of the people here. The ones that know me now pass our place and ask me "What kind of Bonsai is that?" while pointing at potted things like Graveyard Moss, Raspberry, Chocolate Mint, and anything we have potted :eek: "deep sigh"

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Kids in a classroom (my daughter's class) where I talked about bonsai...hort, watering, fertilizing, pruning, wiring, styling, carving, collecting, etc.

Can we use the leaves and make tea (out of fukien tea)?
Can it bear fruit we can eat?
Can we dig the trees at the (school) yard? (talking about 100 years old oak! :eek: )

Some of them still talk bonsai when I see them... priceless. :)

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was sitting in at a show when a woman pointed her nose in the air and scoffed. "HA! I LOATHE bonsai. It's the bound feet of horticulture." Not everyone gets it, but most people seem to enjoy a fine bonsai tree. Guess you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My wife says it's an art where beauty comes from torture. Then again she says a lot of things. A lot.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
My wife always says there should be the equivalent of PETA for trees, not allowing bonsais

My parents call it tree torture! Lol

To be honest, when I started, that was probably a pretty accurate representation of what I was doing to my poor trees!

Top Bottom