FURUYA-ISHI #3

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a Furuya stone that I won at a Japanese auction last September. It belonged to Mr. Negishi Yukiyoshi who over the years received a handful of Kokufu-ten prizes for his bonsai. He passed away and many pieces from his suiseki collection were made available for purchase. It is an absolutely beautiful piece with wonderful age and patina. It came complete with its own kiri box and also, interestingly, with an exquisite drawing made by Mr. Yukiyoshi of the stone itself. The Chinese style daiza is also beautifully crafted and I assume also made in Japan. It is my understanding that Furuya-ishi are usually paired with Chinese style daizas.

Stone dimensions: 6.5"W x 4"D X 3"H

IMG_6891.jpg

IMG_6892.jpg

IMG_6895.jpg

IMG_6894.jpg

IMG_6901.jpg

IMG_6898.jpg

IMG_6904.jpg

IMG_6902.jpg

IMG_6899.jpg

IMG_6912.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
it looks so much larger than it I, the daiza is beautiful.

Funny Judy, when they told me the dimensions I thought it would be a lot smaller than what it really is in person. The stone is surprisingly quite substantial specially in its daiza.

These are by far my favorite stones along with the Ligurian ones from Italy.

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Really stunning Sergio! I was looking at some viewing stones just the other day that were for sale on a Japanese site. None quite so finely detailed as that but still lovely. One day! :)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Really stunning Sergio! I was looking at some viewing stones just the other day that were for sale on a Japanese site. None quite so finely detailed as that but still lovely. One day! :)

I like Furuya stones the best as they usually have very smooth surfaces and fine detail. The sense of realistic scale is remarkable. Many others collected from other parts in Japan are more abstract albeit also beautiful. But these Furuya stones can really transport me like no other. Much like trees and pots it just depends on your own personal taste.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Work at a sandcast foundry for about thirty years.....want to clone this stone out of bronze? ;) :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Not much of a stone viewing person, but these are fascinating. The detail of the surfaces, as mentioned, are beautiful.

Seems that normal stuff here just has a different look in the same object from Japan. I watch too much National Geographic.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Work at a sandcast foundry for about thirty years.....want to clone this stone out of bronze? ;) :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Not much of a stone viewing person, but these are fascinating. The detail of the surfaces, as mentioned, are beautiful.

Seems that normal stuff here just has a different look in the same object from Japan. I watch too much National Geographic.

Lance, I wasn't either until I laid eyes on a Furuya stone. It was love at first sight! I became instantly addicted.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice! Is the stone bottom cut flat?

I am sure it is but it is rough and clearly not cut thru with a saw blade but probably with hand tools of some sort to make it somewhat even to sit better inside the daiza.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am sure it is but it is rough and clearly not cut thru with a saw blade but probably with hand tools of some sort to make it somewhat even to sit better inside the daiza.
Nice, they probably took a chisel to clean the bottom. I saw you had one for sale on FB not long ago. Was this the replacement?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice, they probably took a chisel to clean the bottom. I saw you had one for sale on FB not long ago. Was this the replacement?

Yes most likely a chisel!

And yes, I have that stone up again for auction on FB with what I think a very reasonable reserve price. I am selling a few suiseki now to focus truly on the ones that I love most for one reason or another. I also do not have unlimited space to display them.

Top Bottom