FURUYA STONE #2

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man Mach5, you have a great eye.

The beginning of the rock collection is primo.

(As always, the off the wall stuff in compliment of Mach5's o_O)

Do you cry?
We should bottle your tears and offer them in 2oz eyedropper bottles at auction.
"Get Mach5 bonsaivision today! Just 2 drops in each eye before wiring a tree, or shopping for rocks, and you too, can be great!"

Used Mach5 safety goggles.
$600

Used Mach5 camera's.
Starting at $4,500.

Must have been about 4 years ago now that I ran out of legitimate compliments for All Things Mach5.

There are just never enough words....

I think it can all be spoken by the countless, countless hours that global eyes have pondered these bits you offer.
Here, elsewhere, and in person.

Thanks for sharing your o_Onspirational
Collection.
:D

Sorce

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Man Mach5, you have a great eye.

The beginning of the rock collection is primo.

(As always, the off the wall stuff in compliment of Mach5's o_O)

Do you cry?
We should bottle your tears and offer them in 2oz eyedropper bottles at auction.
"Get Mach5 bonsaivision today! Just 2 drops in each eye before wiring a tree, or shopping for rocks, and you too, can be great!"

Used Mach5 safety goggles.
$600

Used Mach5 camera's.
Starting at $4,500.

Must have been about 4 years ago now that I ran out of legitimate compliments for All Things Mach5.

There are just never enough words....

I think it can all be spoken by the countless, countless hours that global eyes have pondered these bits you offer.
Here, elsewhere, and in person.

Thanks for sharing your o_Onspirational
Collection.
:D

Sorce

Awwwww thanks sorce! I do appreciate the kind words. One thing I know for sure. If I ever need a PR person I know who I'm hiring!! :p

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Lovely image.
What's going on with the 'gritty' looking band at the base of the stone where it sits in the daiza? Does the stone change texture there for some reason? I've not seen that before.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's a beaut! What are you applying to the stone to give it such a deep sheen?

Vin I did not apply anything. The sheen is natural on this stone. Not sure if previous owner may have applied something but it doesn't look like it to me.

Reactions: Vin

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lovely image.
What's going on with the 'gritty' looking band at the base of the stone where it sits in the daiza? Does the stone change texture there for some reason? I've not seen that before.

Tom, that is very typical of Furuya stones collected in the Wakayama prefecture. They are composed of two different mineral layers. The basal flattened layer is called kutsu or shoe in Japanese. In nature that bottom layer faces up while the eroded portion faces down which forms what we generally perceive as mountain ranges, rocky outcrops, etc. So essentially we are appreciating the stone upside down.

Last edited:

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Tom, that is very typical of Furuya stones collected in the Wakayama prefecture. They are composed of two different mineral layers. The basal flattened layer is called kutsu or shoe in Japanese. In nature that bottom layer faces up while the eroded portion faces down which through erosion forms what we generally perceive as mountain ranges, rocky outcrops, etc. So essentially we are appreciating the stone upside down.
Very interesting, thanks for the explanation!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tom, that is very typical of Furuya stones collected in the Wakayama prefecture. They are composed of two different mineral layers. The basal flattened layer is called kutsu or shoe in Japanese. In nature that bottom layer faces up while the eroded portion faces down which forms what we generally perceive as mountain ranges, rocky outcrops, etc. So essentially we are appreciating the stone upside down.

Nice TomB.

This makes this stone so great!

Sorce

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These are so cool!
Do you read up on stone appreciation? or collect just to have these....they are magnificent to say the least,but I never taken it any further than that....as for my appreciation of them.
I often wanted to read up on stone appreciation.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
These are so cool!
Do you read up on stone appreciation? or collect just to have these....they are magnificent to say the least,but I never taken it any further than that....as for my appreciation of them.
My wife an I both enjoy my stones.. o_O

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
These are so cool!

Yes I have been doing reading on the art of stone appreciation and display. I collect them to appreciate them as "works of art" onto themselves much like one would do with a piece of sculpture or painting. I have plans on setting up a small room to display them properly with appropriate stands etc.

For the upcoming 6th USNBE in Rochester, I may possibly submit a stone or two for Bill's consideration.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
BRAVO!! I have said it before on your trees and now again with this stone selection!!
Like many that get hooked on Bonsai, I have also increased my appreciation and want of "spirit stones"/Gongshi/Suiseki.
If I am not working with my trees, then I am playing with stones, Ha.

@sorce takes the cake for praising you on this thread, but I am right behind! Ha. He also mentioned this being the beginning of your collection, is this fairly new for you? Time is subjective I know, but what I mean is, Im sure you have always enjoyed it, but fairly recently began the collecting?

And What I am dieing to know, and forgive my ignorance, did you infact get one submitted and accepted? and if so, may I/we see??

Great stuff as always!!

Top Bottom