Fuschia starter - worth £50?

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
What do you reckon? I'm unsure whether it's a good price or not.

I love fuchsia and not seen one with a decent sized trunk. It looks like a fun project. I know it's a starter and would need a lot of time to develop

Bought from the seller before, he's great

Honest opinions warmly welcome!

Attachments

• 20200821_185622.jpg
    20200821_185622.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20200821_185634.jpg
    20200821_185634.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200821_185644.jpg
    20200821_185644.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 127

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What do you reckon? I'm unsure whether it's a good price or not.

I love fuchsia and not seen one with a decent sized trunk. It looks like a fun project. I know it's a starter and would need a lot of time to develop

Bought from the seller before, he's great

Honest opinions warmly welcome!

I enjoy this specimen, though am fairly unfamiliar with this species.

This is a loaded question.

50 (units of money ;) ) to ME.. is a-lot, but If I, PERSONALLY had a connection to the specimen.. I would still pay.. (if able)

Conversely, there may be an individual, let’s call him/her “Charlie”..

To Charlie... 50 (units of money ;) ) is chump change. But she doesn’t really care for the tree... So Charlie spends her 50 (units of money) elsewhere...

It will come down to your OWN evaluation if “worths”..

Firstly, what is 50 pounds WORTH to you?
Secondly, how much is said ITEM worth to you? And can it be TRANSLATED into units of money.

< or > will be entirely relative to YOUR consideration, in said calculations.

🤓

(A lot of talking.. and not much said.... smooth)

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I enjoy this specimen, though am fairly unfamiliar with this species.

This is a loaded question.

50 (units of money ;) ) to ME.. is a-lot, but If I, PERSONALLY had a connection to the specimen.. I would still pay.. (if able)

Conversely, there may be an individual, let’s call him/her “Charlie”..

To Charlie... 50 (units of money ;) ) is chump change. But she doesn’t really care for the tree... So Charlie spends her 50 (units of money) elsewhere...

It will come down to your OWN evaluation if “worths”..

Firstly, what is 50 pounds WORTH to you?
Secondly, how much is said ITEM worth to you? And can it be TRANSLATED into units of money.

< or > will be entirely relative to YOUR consideration, in said calculations.

🤓

(A lot of talking.. and not much said.... smooth)

I always love your posts 😂

Thanks very much for your input! To me, fuchsias just give me that warm and happy feeling, and I've not seen anything like this one! (in my relatively little experience anyway)

I think I will go for it, I just wanted to check it wasn't a ridiculous price, I didn't think it was at all. But other opinions are always great!

I'm very fortunate that I have a stable (relatively good) income and no children to fund so I'm enjoying treating myself when I can, while I can! Especially when it's a species I love, and in my view a very interesting specimen 😁

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi just seen your posts- personally I think its a nice piece though its expensive for what is basically a mature Fuchsia which has been cut to a stump and re grown a few sprouts!
Im sure you will have fun with it but I wouldnt have paid that much for it. They are so easy to propagate and grow from cuttings Im sure you could grow your own if you planted some hardwood cuttings this autumn but I guess you are paying for the few years work someone has put into getting it to this stage.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Hi just seen your posts- personally I think its a nice piece though its expensive for what is basically a mature Fuchsia which has been cut to a stump and re grown a few sprouts!
Im sure you will have fun with it but I wouldnt have paid that much for it. They are so easy to propagate and grow from cuttings Im sure you could grow your own if you planted some hardwood cuttings this autumn but I guess you are paying for the few years work someone has put into getting it to this stage.

You're absolutely right - definitely paid for the fast forward! I've got several fuchsia I've acquired to grow out, but yeah I wanted something more substantial for now while I wait! Have the best of both worlds now I think 👍 Cheers for your input, love your fuchsias!

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Im in W Midlands not too far from you so could probably let you have some hardy small flowered fuchsia cuttings this autumn if you want to try rooting them?
I prefer the smaller flowered forms as I feel theyre more in scale for bonsai images- you can also easily airlayer mature plants!

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Im in W Midlands not too far from you so could probably let you have some hardy small flowered fuchsia cuttings this autumn if you want to try rooting them?
I prefer the smaller flowered forms as I feel theyre more in scale for bonsai images- you can also easily airlayer mature plants!

That's so kind of you, thanks very much I'd love that! How funny that you're near me, small world. So far I have snowcap, genii, tom thumb and magellanica, none of which are at the air layering stage yet, hopefully one day though! Still learning a lot about fuchsia generally, went for them mainly because they're hardy.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Sorry Im still catching up here- only just seen your pm which I should have read first LOL! Im away from home now for a week but will contact you on my return. Some winter protection would be advisable for your young plants as our climate is so crazy & unpredictable now and some of the varieties you have bought may not be totally hardened off.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry Im still catching up here- only just seen your pm which I should have read first LOL! Im away from home now for a week but will contact you on my return. Some winter protection would be advisable for your young plants as our climate is so crazy & unpredictable now and some of the varieties you have bought may not be totally hardened off.

No worries at all! Cheers very much for your help 😊👍🏻

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Right, so now this has settled in nicely, I'm starting to think about branch development on this - it's a bit of a mess! My thoughts are that it needs some upwards movement? That long, straight, horizontal branch is bugging me...I'm unsure where to begin with it 😂

Found these first two images on Google, probably the most similar to where I think mine would be heading? Rest of the photos are of mine (sorry rushed photos)

I'm thinking to start with, prune crossing branches/areas with more than 2 branches from one place. Then wire those left?

Im trying to get my head around how it could look and make a virt, but struggling! ANY thoughts at all would be grand 👌

By the way I'm self isolating for two weeks so I have plenty of time on my hands 😂

Attachments

• fuchsia-bonsai.jpg
    fuchsia-bonsai.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 45
  • 7f2f679d1feedf3fe5e77ce07efc33ba.jpg
    7f2f679d1feedf3fe5e77ce07efc33ba.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20201108_111043.jpg
    20201108_111043.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20201108_111354.jpg
    20201108_111354.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201108_111354.jpg
    20201108_111354.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201108_111359.jpg
    20201108_111359.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201108_111043.jpg
    20201108_111043.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Too me I think its a wonderful tree with lots of long term potential. If you like the tree and have the money than I say go for it. I personally would buy it if it was what I was looking for. But I don't know the requires for this tree so before jumping in with both feet, I would check to see if it will do well in your zone.

Good luck with you choice

Michael

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Too me I think its a wonderful tree with lots of long term potential. If you like the tree and have the money than I say go for it. I personally would buy it if it was what I was looking for. But I don't know the requires for this tree so before jumping in with both feet, I would check to see if it will do well in your zone.

Good luck with you choice

Michael
Sorry should have stated - I purchased this tree end of August, not sure if I'm able to edit the title of the thread @Bonsai Nut ? Thanks very much for the kind words! This type of fuchsia are hardy where I am (UK) and I have a few others :)

Starting to think about development now - definitely agree it's got potential, I'm just not sure how to kickstart that potential!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That long straight branch is indeed an eyesore. But I am not sure how I would fix it.

I have a thought, but want to play with a photo editor. It might take a couple days for me to get back to you.

One thought, is changing the planting position, by more than 45 degrees, making that horizontal branch into a slanting upright.

20200821_185644-jpg.324356

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love the flowers. In my opinion, you could change the angle just slightly and style this as a semi-cascade. That would probably mean just losing the branch you have wired, though, so that might not be the way your mind is going.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
That long straight branch is indeed an eyesore. But I am not sure how I would fix it.

I have a thought, but want to play with a photo editor. It might take a couple days for me to get back to you.

One thought, is changing the planting position, by more than 45 degrees, making that horizontal branch into a slanting upright.

20200821_185644-jpg.324356
Not a bad thought at all, I'd briefly thought about that, but wouldn't it still be too straight for an upright branch? Unless I reduce it somewhat?

Thanks for the help Leo 👍🏻

Top Bottom