fused maples, can it be done to elms

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
I believe Doug's site hasn't been updated because he's been busy with other projects, moving across the country, etc.

Doug is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I don't believe he has ever claimed this technique to be more than it is. He was kind enough to do a 2 part workshop with our club earlier this year. It's a fun and relatively long-term project, like most things bonsai related.

Here's a brief post and a few pictures I took during part one of the workshop:

http://www.matsubonsai.com/blog/post/2009/01/Doug-Philips-Trident-Frame-Workshop.aspx

I'll be posting more info and pictures on my blog through the next several years as the tree I created in the workshop progresses.

If you haven't tried the technique I say give it a shot.

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
well this topic blew out way further than i ever expected it too..

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't doubt Doug's abilities, or Doug :D. It's that people (especially newbies) see this technique and misunderstand it. It is not as easy as it looks. And it's to Doug's credit that he does it so well.

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
Lots of technique involved. Doug has learned from his mistakes through the years and teaches this class very well. We spent a full day with him in January assembling the frames and another in February attaching the seedlings. He reports that this has been done succesfully with a number of other species such as willow, etc.

If you give it a try shoot him an email for thoughts and advice. He enjoys hearing of peoples successes and he'll do what he can to help you avoid potential failures.

Here's the write up he did for our club:

http://www.louisvillebonsai.org/post/2009/01/Fused-Trunk-Trident-Maple-as-Bonsai.aspx

Mortalis

Yamadori
Reaction score
I think I am going to try it with ficus. Just hard to find ficus whips most online sellers chop them for branching.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I believe Doug's site hasn't been updated because he's been busy with other projects, moving across the country, etc.

Doug is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I don't believe he has ever claimed this technique to be more than it is. He was kind enough to do a 2 part workshop with our club earlier this year. It's a fun and relatively long-term project, like most things bonsai related.

Here's a brief post and a few pictures I took during part one of the workshop:

http://www.matsubonsai.com/blog/post/2009/01/Doug-Philips-Trident-Frame-Workshop.aspx

I'll be posting more info and pictures on my blog through the next several years as the tree I created in the workshop progresses.

If you haven't tried the technique I say give it a shot.

Do you know what happens with the hollow created with the new type frames.

Undoubtedly the man has imagination and talent, I would just like to see what has happened since... Nothing more :)

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
Rick,

Last time I was out at his place I think I took a few pictures. I'll look tonight and see what I can find. Also, if you contact him I'm sure he'll be glad to converse with you directly. If several people contact him we might be able to convince him to update his site. :)

As I understand it he did initially have problems with the carved wood form rotting and fungal problems. With the new wire frame design he hasn't reported any problems and the trees look great.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As I understand it he did initially have problems with the carved wood form rotting and fungal problems. With the new wire frame design he hasn't reported any problems and the trees look great.

... that is where I was getting at, more or less. But even with the hollow core, when the root mass establishes itself and closes in, now we have more or less an anaerobic void.

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
Hmm, that I don't know. From his site it looks like he started the wire frame method in 1998. When he repotted the small one for us in the January meeting we were able to look from the bottom up through the roots and inside the trunk. All appeared to be well.

My suspicion is that potential problems can be avoided through regular repotting. He did fill quite a bit of the cavity with soil before placing the tree into a new pot.

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think I am going to try it with ficus. Just hard to find ficus whips most online sellers chop them for branching.

i am currently trying a fusing technique with ficus now. but there is no frame. the similarity is that the trees werent sapplings they had some girth to them. was going for more a naturally fluted look. they are fusing quite nicely. another year and they should be close enough to start woek on branching.
more to follow on that in a differfent post tho.
edit= what i was getting at is there is natural gaps in the trunks where they couldnt touch. arieal roots are starting to fill these spots tho

Last edited:
Top Bottom