fusing cupressus trunks?

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Due to the impetus and ignorance of the beginner, a few months ago I bought a seedling of common cypress (cupressus sempervirens) that today I would have discarded because it did not have adequate conditions in its first 15 centimeters.

IMG_20201129_151341.jpg
IMG_20210614_220211 (1).jpg

I have joined the two logs with raffia, and I wonder what future possibilities this has ... of course, I will have to periodically change the ties to avoid damage, but do you think they will be able to fuse in a credible way?
Thanks

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know maples do fuse trunks pretty readily.

Not sure how Cypress will respond to this.
Also not sure anyone has tried.
You'll just have to wait and see.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You’d imagine eventually they’d graft into each other. It’s like an approach graft. I have a false cypress I am doing the same thing to. I think the best best way to fuse them is through the approach grafting technique. You’d have to cut into the both pieces one would be concave to mate the round one. And line up the vascular tissue primarily the cambium layer. But research it before you try. You could always wire them up during the cold season and create dead wood on one limb

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You’ll likely end up with a very oval trunk shape, if the two did fuse. And, the trunk will grow even more oval over time.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You’ll likely end up with a very oval trunk shape, if the two did fuse. And, the trunk will grow even more oval over time.
You will end up with an oval but I contend the oval will be less pronounced over time, not more. This is what I have observed in nature but it is only my experience.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Even if it works, you're going to have a very straight trunk. Unless you want a formal upright, I'd separate them, wire movement into your chosen main trunk while it's still flexible, and keep the other as a sacrifice branch to jin later on. But that's just me.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I finally have taken a decision on this cypres. I have made airlayers with each trunk. It's my first airlayering, but those airpods are fantastic. To make all the process for those two , I spent a total of 10 minutes. Hope I have done it right, as I am in love with one of the future trees. I will report in some weeks.....

DSC_8401 (2).jpgDSC_8399 (2).jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
those airpods are fantastic
I have enjoyed using them as well. It is so fast and easy, while nothing else in bonsai is.
You do need to keep an eye on them in summer because they do dry out.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have used spaghnum moss, and as with these airpods it is so easy to open, look or touch and close (I can do it with only one hand), I think I will not have problems there....
Also, I live in a fantastic climate. There are no freezings or winter problems. So I can do this almost in any time of the year. Hope nobody in other climate think it's time for airlayerings....

Last edited:
Top Bottom