Future Acer rubrum forest

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It seems like there is enough percolation and space for roots to colonize such that I don't need a repot this coming spring. But for Spring 2023...I spied this fabulous oval from @NaoTK with his "moss and red" glaze and think this forest might look great in something along those lines. Time to start saving!
Nao Round Moss and Red Pot.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Curious as to why you defoliated so early in the developmental stage. I have not do this to mine because I am trying to developer trunk girth.
Please share your reasoning with me.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Curious as to why you defoliated so early in the developmental stage. I have not do this to mine because I am trying to developer trunk girth.
Yeah, this may not have been the wisest move as far as getting max trunk development. But I want to promote a bit more branching down lower on some of the trees. That's why I left a few more leaves down low as compared to up top. I'm not sure if this will work as intended - first time trying it with this species, so stay tuned.

The other reason I did 90% defoliation was for a selfish knowledge/experimental reason. Because these trees are super strong and I'm quite sure they will survive the procedure (with the exception of the two in the back...I left more leaves on those), I wanted to see if the second flush of leaves would come out smaller.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You are not wrong, friend.
I try this on normally one branch of species that I HAVEN'T performed such operations.. just to "see".. I Understand the appeal..

But after you "see" it... you wait until you need it... cause defoliation is a "Hiccup".. and hiccups cause slows in growth.

Defoliating early is DEFINITELY a selfish thing (I've done it too) 🤓. "Look at the little leaves!"

😂😂

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Time for it to get its first real pot!
First, to deal with this mat of roots.
455721DD-2CCA-4AEB-80EC-EFDD7712C693.jpeg
In order to fit in its new oval, I needed to condense it a bit front to back, so I removed the two trees from the rear, took out some of that mid ground and will re-position them.
17DDB78E-FCC5-4330-852B-DFB44582ACDD.jpeg
I’ve already made my decision but I’m curious what others would have chosen. Do you like arrangement A
A)B87DC5A7-8DA2-40D1-B7CC-1419820F5070.jpeg

Zelrod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don’t like the matching small trees on either side of the gap of option A. I prefer B

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like B, but I’d like to saw that middle section and half to bring that left group juuuust a bit close like 2 inches and turn counter cliques 1 tick. To leave some anymetrical space on the left side , also put some nevermind in those big trees, nothing cray cray no wire just guy wire on the bottom.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm voting for A...

Looks a touch more symmetrical NOW ..

BUT you gotta picture it with branches.

🤓

(The two smaller "back" trees of option A, REALLY "make it" for me.. and truly give depth of a longer view. Now picture a sunset at that long-view end.... Ahhhh... Refreshing)

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is the final placement that I went with, which is pretty close to option A, but I did adjust the angles so the two rear trees are less symmetrical. The plan is to keep those two depth trees nice and thin to enhance the perspective. We will see how I do on that front in the coming years!
53EA78A8-271B-4050-9E83-6BB920853DD9.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is the final placement that I went with, which is pretty close to option A, but I did adjust the angles so the two rear trees are less symmetrical. The plan is to keep those two depth trees nice and thin to enhance the perspective. We will see how I do on that front in the coming years!
View attachment 475747

Yes!!! You understand EXACTLY why those back trees are "important"

Fantastic job!

Top Bottom