Future for an urban yamadori (yew)

practicing

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This yew is my first attempt at collecting rather than buy nursery/online stock. It was growing on a basement patio, and was offered free to anyone who would come dig it out.00R0R_3DSl2e3lyzW_600x450.jpg

It took me about an hour, but I managed to get it out. However, in doing so, I discovered that most of the foliage was way down very long branches. I've heard yews are pretty good at backbudding, so I hacked most of these branches back to the first existing backbud, and this was the result:
IMG_1050.JPG

For scale, it's about 5 feet across right now. I know I should let it recover for the next year, and hopefully by then any backbudding will make things clearer, but for now, I want to know if people see much potential here? I can imagine trying to do some dramatic bending with the long main trunk to make it more compact, or simply chopping that off and hoping to get growth closer to the center of the tree. Other thoughts?
IMG_1052.JPG

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If you got a good amount of roots, I'd give it full sun and lots of fertilizer. Get it growing strongly then cut back way down low. Your future bonsai is in the first foot of trunk...and probably the first 6-8 inches. Yew are great subjects for bonsai. Good luck.

practicing

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you got a good amount of roots, I'd give it full sun and lots of fertilizer. Get it growing strongly then cut back way down low. Your future bonsai is in the first foot of trunk...and probably the first 6-8 inches. Yew are great subjects for bonsai. Good luck.
Thanks! I think I did reasonably well with the root-ball, although it was a mass of clay that I didn't want to poke too much for risk of hurting it even further:
IMG_1048.JPG

Top Bottom