Future mume and chojubai

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Oh no, that's terrible. Did you have frost?

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes but they're in the garage. I think it is a combination of not being able to manage water and lack of light because it is too cold to put them outside until next week. If they had arrived two weeks later I bet it would have been fine.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It has certainly been a challenging spring. Snow on April 20th here with several days of lows in the 20's. A couple nice days, then cold and windy for a couple of weeks. Sorry.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes but they're in the garage. I think it is a combination of not being able to manage water and lack of light because it is too cold to put them outside until next week. If they had arrived two weeks later I bet it would have been fine.
Don't give up yet. It is possible that they will activate new buds at the base of leaves lost, once they encounter warmer surroundings with better light. The amounts of growth present when they arrived indicates reasonable root formation so recovery is possible provided they did not freeze.
You may experience leaf loss with the Chojubai as well, it is common for them when conditions change. They bounce back well in most cases.

Last edited:

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't give up yet. It is possible that they will activate new buds at the base of leaves lost, once they encounter warmer surroundings with better light. The amounts of growth present when they arrived indicates reasonable root formation so recovery is possible provided they did not freeze.
You may experience leaf loss with the Chojubai as well, it is common for them when conditions change. They bounce back well in most cases.

I hope you're right! I'm planning to put them in the greenhouse this morning to get some more light. Mine is just one of those little 6x6 jobs so not super warm at night but hopefully will help. 39° this morning. :-(

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My trees are in the greenhouse today. Close to freezing with a good hard frost last night. The cold wind is ridiculous... and my temps in a microclimate are not yet rising. Had the dogs out and brrrrr .

Hope yours go well for you. I love the clump cascade of white chojubai I put together from cuttings from Brent. It's nice having a reputable source.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve got a few mume from Brent over the years and they are my favorite flowering tree. The stronger growing varieties are quick to trunk up in the ground And have been lots of fun to work with. Animals are a fan of the branches though and ruined a few.

good luck with yours, hope they recover!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hope you're right! I'm planning to put them in the greenhouse this morning to get some more light. Mine is just one of those little 6x6 jobs so not super warm at night but hopefully will help. 39° this morning. :-(
Prunus mume are one of the species that respond well to partial defoliation, which really aids in ramification as they tend to grow rather linear.
Plus I know that Brent holds his cuttings for longer periods of time to attain better root development prior to selling. They are a species that require more stabilization before shipping, changing climates and transplanting. Particularly when they are young. The young plants appear to do well even with less established roots until something changes, and then they do not have the reserves to cope. For this reason experienced growers like Brent give the cuttings extra time before selling.
Both of the above reasons increase the chance of recovery in situations like yours.

The Chojubai are just a fickle species, whose first reaction to any change is to lose their leaves and pout for a bit!
For both species I tend to use the same approach to stabilize new arrivals and young stock. Deeper substrate on the acidic side with a bit higher moisture retention. Partial shade protected from wind. Less frequent repotting particularly for younger stock and I do not begin regular root work until after year three. Full sun this time of year in your location will probably be fine.
Michael Hagedorn has written a number of good articles on Chojubai and they can be found in the archives on his website.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Prunus mume are one of the species that respond well to partial defoliation, which really aids in ramification as they tend to grow rather linear.
Plus I know that Brent holds his cuttings for longer periods of time to attain better root development prior to selling. They are a species that require more stabilization before shipping, changing climates and transplanting. Particularly when they are young. The young plants appear to do well even with less established roots until something changes, and then they do not have the reserves to cope. For this reason experienced growers like Brent give the cuttings extra time before selling.
Both of the above reasons increase the chance of recovery in situations like yours.

The Chojubai are just a fickle species, whose first reaction to any change is to lose their leaves and pout for a bit!
For both species I tend to use the same approach to stabilize new arrivals and young stock. Deeper substrate on the acidic side with a bit higher moisture retention. Partial shade protected from wind. Less frequent repotting particularly for younger stock and I do not begin regular root work until after year three. Full sun this time of year in your location will probably be fine.
Michael Hagedorn has written a number of good articles on Chojubai and they can be found in the archives on his website.
Thanks for the advice.

It may be wishful thinking, but I think 4 of the 5 are looking better today after it ended up being warmer than expected plus being in the greenhouse.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
How are things going now?

Mine arrived today 5 days late. One of the mumes is significantly wilty but everything else looks ok.

I ordered 2 chojubai “red” which is what their tags say, but one of them has a lone white flower 😳

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Brent got back to me already and said he would send a replacement for the white flower …

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Brent got back to me already and said he would send a replacement for the white flower …
It is pretty easy to mix up cuttings over time. Last week I had to switch out cuttings for a client. Both flowers are the same color but the flower shape is very different on one variety. The buds look almost identical until they open and they have the same leaf structure, small dark green with red fringe. I blame it on my bifocals. Or any other silly reason I can think of.;)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I contacted Brent as well because my plants were supposed to be shipped this month but the purnus mume I ordered isnt ready yet, they are being slow

However I do have a package arriving tomorrow from some where else :cool:

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I contacted Brent as well because my plants were supposed to be shipped this month but the purnus mume I ordered isnt ready yet, they are being slow

However I do have a package arriving tomorrow from some where else :cool:
That been my strategy through this pandemic - always be anticipating a package and things will be ok.

Top Bottom