Future Toyo Nishiki Quince Bonsai

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's one I planted up several days ago. It was three single trunks wired together. They will grow one full season then get a massive trim next spring and the real fun begins. Curious to see if they produce any fruit this season.

Toyo Nishiki Quince bonsai.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So yesterday I started my air layering's, and decided to air layer the one as well. I'll probably not get flowers next year because of the reduction, but should be able to start with the branching next year. Hopefully it back buds and not send up shoots from the base. I re added more sphagnum moss to induce more roots to exit lower parts of the trunks. So far there's some roots, but not enough.

Toyo Nishiki Quince air layerings.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You potted this in April...I'm not sure I would have done an air layer with doing so much root work putting this trio together. One major incident per year runs though my head. But...I wish you the best. Truly I do.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You potted this in April...I'm not sure I would have done an air layer with doing so much root work putting this trio together. One major incident per year runs though my head. But...I wish you the best. Truly I do.
We'll see if it pulls through. Worse case scenario is that I loose the trunks, but shoots should come up if that happens. The only reason that convinced me was that it had roots exiting the drainage hole.

I'll post update pics in the next several weeks of it's status.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update: All three air layers seem to be successful so far less than a month total and all now have roots. I think in another month I should be able to separate them. New growth has already started below one of the air layers which is good, it should allow me to do some wiring sooner.

thumbnail_20200722_113510.jpgthumbnail_20200722_113514.jpgthumbnail_20200722_113526.jpg

Top Bottom