Fuzzy white infestation on my tree

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have a persistent white fuzz growing on some of my trees. It looks almost crystal-like, but it's soft and washes off with a blast of water, but it comes back within a day. A copper-based fungicide has done nothing. It doesn't appear to be mealybugs. It started on my podocarpus and has spread to my pyracanthas. So far, nothing else.

Has anyone else had something similar? How did you kill it?

Attachments

• 2016-03-13 11.56.10 HDR.jpg
    2016-03-13 11.56.10 HDR.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 90

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
wooly aphids or adelgids is my guess.
if the latter I had some last year, rubbed off with my fingers and sprayed with either neem or bayer, i can't recall which.
Hopefully someone can confirm. Good luck.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've had mealybugs before, usually on my rosemary bushes. This is different.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think we need more information and maybe a better close-up photo. Have you plucked any of these from the trees and looked for a critter inside? Most likely would be one of the two suggested already (mealy bug and wooly aphid) and those would be pretty obvious. If there's nothing living under the fuzz, I don't know what it is. Does it come back in the same place if you remove it? Does it seem to spread, move around, etc? Is it growing out of the plant? Blowing in from somewhere else (seed/flower)?

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Appears similar to "cotonwood fluff", (compare with google images). Is there any seed in it ?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've had mealybugs before, usually on my rosemary bushes. This is different.
My fiancés succulents ALWAYS GET THEM:mad: but to me this looks like mealys. Could be wrong. I would use a qtip dipped in alcohol, it should dissolve the "fuzz" away and reveal the little buggers.

Aaron

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
All of my experience with mealybugs involved more of a sticky foam ball, rather than this long, stranded fuzz, so I was pretty certain this wasn't mealybugs, but it looks like I was wrong. Alcohol on a Q-tip dissolved the fuzz. Inside was what looked like little critters smaller than fleas. They didn't move, and they dissolved into a purple mush. Will the alcohol kill them? Or do I still need to apply something? Neem oil maybe?

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Alcohol on a Q-tip dissolved the fuzz. Inside was what looked like little critters smaller than fleas. They didn't move, and they dissolved into a purple mush. Will the alcohol kill them?
If your words are correct "dissolved into purple mush" I would say that's fairly conclusive death. Critters, whatever they may be, however large or small, tend to not reform out of purple mush.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
All of my experience with mealybugs involved more of a sticky foam ball, rather than this long, stranded fuzz, so I was pretty certain this wasn't mealybugs, but it looks like I was wrong. Alcohol on a Q-tip dissolved the fuzz. Inside was what looked like little critters smaller than fleas. They didn't move, and they dissolved into a purple mush. Will the alcohol kill them? Or do I still need to apply something? Neem oil maybe?
I use the alcohol for about 2 weeks, if the mealys aren't gone then I kill then with a toothpick and spray with neem to prevent others from wanting to show up.

Aaron

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If your words are correct "dissolved into purple mush" I would say that's fairly conclusive death. Critters, whatever they may be, however large or small, tend to not reform out of purple mush.

Yeah, except within that mush, that undoubtedly included a bunch of crushed ones, there may have been some that were not smashed. So I don't know if I killed those, or if they'll be fine once the alcohol dried away.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Adelgids is a big family of sucking insects, it is not just one species. Treatment is the same for most. The adults make the fuzzy cottony balls. The juvenile form has no ''fuzz'' and crawls around to find more places to settle down. Neem is merely an anti-feedant, it does not kill bugs directly. I would resort to an insecticide, whether pyrethrum based or a neonicotinoid or an organophosphate all will work if you follow directions. The directions will state how often to spray, this is important, spray at the interval recommended and repeat at least 2 times AFTER you no longer see adults. If you stop too soon, eggs that were hiding out will hatch and you will be battling reoccurring infestations forever. Spray all nearby plants too, It is unlikely they are on only one plant. I would use Bayer, or Mavrik, or Decathalon, as my choices. Bayer is imidiproclid - a neonicotinoid, the other two are synthetic pyrethroids.

Neem, and insecticidal soaps are fine if you are very diligent with their use, literally wash every leaf and stem with the solution and have a small collection where the work required to apply correctly is not an issue. For a large collection the Bayer is systemic, works even if you don't hit every surface, so has a low labor requirement. The pyrethroids are best if every surface is wet by they pesticide, but because they have some residual effect will kill critters crawling over treated areas for a period of time. It is important to read the labels and follow application directions and safety warnings.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wooly aphids or adelgids.

Seen them on my pines and junipers

Top Bottom