Galvanized Steel Stucco Netting to Keep Out Squirrels

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I got this in thought of using it as a netting for my pots to keep squirrels and birds from digging in my pots.

My worry now is because galvanized steel can rust, I may run the risk of it leaching into the soil. Wasn’t really a thought when I first picked it up. I may be better off using a plastic netting like what’s used to keep out insects or something like that. Galvanized steel takes awhile to rust, due to the zinc coating, but at the same time it’s going to be watered at least once a day.

What do you guys think?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not be to concerned about the metal harming the tree . I have heard of experts deliberately putting nails in the soil . So the tree benefits from iron as they rust . The visual appeal is another matter . Have to admit I don’t have the amount of squirrel problems that seem to plague other bonsai growers . And I should . The old small town I live in was hometown of one of the starters if the Ontario nut grower association . So there are a lot of nut trees . And lots of squirrels . They seem to have brief periods of problems digging into pots . Depending on time of year . Uprooting young plants is the worst damage they do . Maybe there to busy . Often wondered if others gave squirrels feed nuts . And allowed them places other than there pots . They may have less problems .

Reactions: AJL

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use bird netting that they use on fruit trees for birds wanting moss but would work on squ as well.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Zinc does leach out of gal coatings over time. It can be toxic to moss but never heard of any problems with higher plant forms. Possibly increased watering rates in bonsai might wash toxicity away before it can even affect moss??

Reactions: AJL

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Fertilizer would make it oxidize faster. But leeching is not really an issue I think.
It's not enough to hurt your trees and if it is, I'll know. Because this winter I basically put galvanized mesh on all my trees.
The same stuff can be bought with a green plastic coating over here.
If you don't trust the galvani process, you can always spray paint it to prevent further breakdown.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've used it in place of chicken wire to build chicken coops and garden fences several times. Aside from the metal being a little more brittle it's just fine and 1/10th the price.

I've never had issues with rust, and never noticed problems for plants growing along it, which as garden fencing it often pulls double duty as a trellis.
You'll only get toxic levels of zinc or other buildup if it's sitting stagnant on the soil. Routine watering flushes/dilutes it to quickly the rest of the time.

This is my climate, though. More wet or humid regions might have a different experience.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've used galvanized wire fencing with smaller mesh on pots to keep the birds from digging under the moss.

Never had a problem

Top Bottom