Garage overwintering setup

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
I am a bit of a smart-device and automation obsessive. So while I am a newbie to bonsai, it pains me to see advanced practitioners on this forum lament avoidable winter damage on trees because, for example, a spouse left the garage door open.

So, I thought I would share my garage setup in the hopes of sparing even one or two people from needless branch dieback.

It starts with a smart garage door opener. I have a Chamberlain unit that can be controlled remotely using the MyQ app: https://www.chamberlain.com/durable-chain-drive-wi-fi-garage-door-opener-with-battery-backup/p/C870. You can set it up to alert you if the garage door is left open for longer than you want, and you can close it from your smartphone. For safety, it alerts anyone nearby before closing by flashing the garage lights and sounding an alarm—the neighbors will love it. This alone offers so much peace of mind, and in milder climates that might be all you need.

Here in polar vortex territory, it got down to 40 below zero in January. So I also have two electric space heaters coupled to Bayite thermostats: https://www.amazon.com/bayite-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Pre-wired/dp/B01KMA6EAM/. The thermostat is digital and precise to 0.1 degrees, unlike the terrible rotary dials that come on many space heaters with built in thermostats. The temperature probe is on a long wire and can be placed anywhere, so I can get temperature readings from right by my bonsai, but still position the space heaters far away so as not to blast them with hot dry air. And if you are worried about heat gain, you can also attach a fan or an AC unit to the thermostat to keep the temperature within a set lower and upper bound.

To track how I’m doing, I have a Temp Stick thermometer: https://tempstick.com/. This sends real-time temperature data to my phone, and can alert me if the temperature gets too low or too high. It also keeps a record of all the historical data, which you can output to Excel. This is useful for correlating your garage temperature with the weather, and to see how changes to your setup affect your performance.

For trees that do wake up early (as well as my tropicals indoors), I have LED grow lights attached to WeMo plugs (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JQ95L7J/ref=twister_B07GNZ5TVM) that automatically turn on and off. I didn't need to use them in the garage this year, but they kept my figs very happy inside. (I also provide bottom heat to the figs using heat mats: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F821DKQ/. This particular model only goes down to 50 degrees, but a similar configuration could be used in a garage to keep roots just above freezing.)

Finally, I have a backup generator. It came with the house and it has been a godsend. Highly recommend, 5 stars, would buy again.

This setup has worked very well, and gives me peace of mind. I may make some changes next winter, including unifying some or all of these components using a smarthub such as SmartThings. Using their platform I can create “routines” to automate all of the interventions I must now perform manually. For example, there is a garage door tilt sensor (https://discoverecolink.com/product/tiltzwave25-eco/) which can automatically trigger MyQ to close the garage door after a specified interval through the platform. There are also temperature and moisture sensors which can trigger outlets to turn on and power heaters, fans, vents, humidifiers, or any other device you want--though so far I have been very happy with the Bayite units and am in no rush to replace them.

I hope this helps inspire some tech-enabled solutions to any of you that are struggling with overwintering. If you have any other ideas please share them!

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
What led lights are you using?
Hi Judy, I use FEIT Electric grow lights (https://www.feit.com/product-category/grow-lights/). They have standard-sized bulbs so you can precisely direct the light with lamps, and they have large panels too.

I am very skeptical of many of the brands available on Amazon but this one is stocked at Home Depot so I felt a bit more comfortable using it. My figs grew basically all winter long with a few A19 bulbs and some window exposure. Leaf size definitely increased; if that were a concern for me I would have used the panels but I plan to cut most of the growth off anyway. I will definitely be using the panels next spring and will report back.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Stupid that they don't list pricing on their website. I am just researching for the future when I build out a new greenhouse, I'm happy with my florescent fixtures I have in my current one.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Stupid that they don't list pricing on their website. I am just researching for the future when I build out a new greenhouse, I'm happy with my florescent fixtures I have in my current one.
I saw your greenhouse linked in @MACH5 's maple thread (his branch loss is what prompted me to write this post). I'm very jealous of your setup, if I continue at my current pace I'll be trying something similar in a few years.

I like the LEDs because they are energy-efficient and give off very little heat. They also last forever, and can be had in interesting shapes and configurations. But there is definitely much more written online about success with fluorescent or metal halide fixtures.

My trees stayed dormant fairly late this year so I didn't need the lights in the garage, but if I use them next spring I will write back on how they performed.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I saw your greenhouse linked in @MACH5 's maple thread (his branch loss is what prompted me to write this post). I'm very jealous of your setup, if I continue at my current pace I'll be trying something similar in a few years.

I like the LEDs because they are energy-efficient and give off very little heat. They also last forever, and can be had in interesting shapes and configurations. But there is definitely much more written online about success with fluorescent or metal halide fixtures.

My trees stayed dormant fairly late this year so I didn't need the lights in the garage, but if I use them next spring I will write back on how they performed.
I like the fluorescents for the same reasons, they really don't give off much heat and are energy efficient, but not as much as LED. I also have to replace the bulbs every 4 years or so, and want to change over to LED for that reason. I'll just keep following the weed growers and see what they use. They will know the best thing for sure. I'm actually back into the greenhouse today and using lights again, it's going to be close to frosts for a couple nights this weekend. NO chances taken here. I love the greenhouse, it has stopped the shuffle, except for unexpected late cold like this weekend for me. I leave them in with the lights until it's really warmed up.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
I'm actually back into the greenhouse today and using lights again, it's going to be close to frosts for a couple nights this weekend. NO chances taken here. I love the greenhouse, it has stopped the shuffle, except for unexpected late cold like this weekend for me. I leave them in with the lights until it's really warmed up.

Saturday night I'm looking at 34 degrees :'(

We're almost through.

Top Bottom