Garage sale Bougainvillea

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Picked this little fella up today for $32. I figure the pot is at least worth that anyway. It was a lady’s tree that used to volunteer at Weyerhaeuser and work on those trees. So I’m assuming she knew what she was doing. I was told it used to be in a smaller pot but she was unable to keep up with the watering so it ended up in this bigger pot. The lady had passed in 2020 and her daughter cared for it the last 2 years. I’m familiar with the plant since I grew up in California but I’m in Washington now. She pulled it inside and just put it in a window for the winters. At what temps should I bring it inside? It needs to be reported into to better soil, when should I do that? Looks like part of the lower trunk is rotting, too much water I think. I believe it might be a white stripe, but I’m not sure on variety. I’ll take any and all care advise, hasn’t been fertilized since before her mom passed. I’d prefer to keep this lady’s tree alive for her.4B639D80-3A43-4EC6-BB0D-B3276FB05E48.jpeg185FF043-BD0C-4EE9-88DD-A7C9484E5F86.jpegC5F2A3B6-6AB8-40BE-923B-B3C334E72CC3.jpegE9C7A1A8-54CE-4F31-91C9-36800D053EA2.jpeg

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
The leaves look healthy and beautiful. If you change out the soil immediately for better it should be fine at any time now, but spring is usually best or after flowering for flowering trees is what I hear. If the tree has been fine for 2 years in that pot and soil... I'd wait and pay attentionto the water. If anyone has a stronger opinion I'd like to hear more. $32 for any tree is a steal and a variegated wisteria... I think you did pretty well!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My bougies saw 40's last fall with no ill effects. I wouldn't push it much farther though, it will need to come inside. Give it as much light as you can. Looks like regular potting soil but surely not if you say she worked on trees? No matter, it's not a good time for a repot. Repot in the hottest part of the summer. That's a deep pot for a bougie, be very judicious with your watering.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The leaves look healthy and beautiful. If you change out the soil immediately for better it should be fine at any time now, but spring is usually best or after flowering for flowering trees is what I hear. If the tree has been fine for 2 years in that pot and soil... I'd wait and pay attentionto the water. If anyone has a stronger opinion I'd like to hear more. $32 for any tree is a steal and a variegated wisteria... I think you did pretty well!
No complaints on the price, it was so good I had to buy a couple other of her trees as well. Lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My bougies saw 40's last fall with no ill effects. I wouldn't push it much farther though, it will need to come inside. Give it as much light as you can. Looks like regular potting soil but surely not if you say she worked on trees? No matter, it's not a good time for a repot. Repot in the hottest part of the summer. That's a deep pot for a bougie, be very judicious with your watering.
Yeah I agree the pot is huge. To me it looked liked she had taken it out of the smaller pot and filled in with potting soil. There is more pumice and lava when I was poking around closer to the trunk. I was told she was struggling with the watering schedule as she was getting closer to the end. So everything was up potted by her family.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wholeheartedly agree with repotting mid-summer, for any tropicals really, not only bougies. I keep my bougies under lights when indoors. I also try to keep them on the dry side.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought I’d give an update on the little guy as it’s pushing new growth again and I got pics this time.
The bracts come in pink811928D2-53FA-447C-945A-6458C5B371E6.jpeg
And then fade to white

A5FC7EEB-9338-408F-8609-E49AFF50467E.jpeg
The leaves do the same
BA212C64-F418-4F51-A89C-7BF66E1659F2.jpeg
It for sure needs a repot ASAP due to the unpleasant smell when I water. Trying to refrain from doing it too early since it is growing a little. For now, I’m just be extremely careful about watering.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this little lady really struggled this year. It had major root rot issues and I had to cut a lot off an it sulked for a month. Part of the lower trunk, by the soil line is rotted as well. I thought it was a goner. But luckily for me she bounced back. I think it was the garden gnome and his rabbit friend. Next summer, I’m going to start rooting some cuttings.IMG_0810.jpeg

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Cuttings take pretty easily. For some reason the variegated trees seem less hardy than the regular ones.
that is often the case with varigation. Varigated azaleas and gardenias are always less hardy than their green brothers in the landscape

Top Bottom