Garage setup

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just looking for opinions on my garage setup

The double lights are high (no good way to get them closer at the moment), and isn’t that aesthetically pleasing, but they’re the proper temperature and, I believe at 1680 lumens each, I’ll have enough light for winter. This also has the option for swapping the bulbs for proper grow lights. Cheaper option at $16 right now

The LED lightbar is a much cleaner setup, can use chain to get the exact height I need, but is most likely not the correct temperature (seems a little warm. Not mentioned in the spec sheet, but most likely <4000k). Can’t swap the tube bulb. More expensive option at $21

I only need this setup for late fall to early spring when temps are under 40F. The rest of the time will be outside

My garage, so far, is usually 60-65F. It drops to 55F when the door stays open while getting groceries or other misc times

This will mostly have my P afra under it

Anyway, opinions?

Attachments

• 203C9754-1424-420C-A6FC-341D9C55D138.jpeg
    203C9754-1424-420C-A6FC-341D9C55D138.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 08998EB1-FA9B-4805-AFF8-0D2DC6DD8C6A.jpeg
    08998EB1-FA9B-4805-AFF8-0D2DC6DD8C6A.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 37
  • 396506EA-7839-4D0A-B602-6DDFFE258FA3.jpeg
    396506EA-7839-4D0A-B602-6DDFFE258FA3.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 51
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Decision made. I think the ability to have exactly what bulbs I want in relation to lumens and temperature, and flexibility for actual grow lights (and a much cheaper setup with the clamp fixture only being $3 each) outweighed the height adjustment and 5000 lumen brightness of the lightbar

I’ll look into somehow getting the lights closer, but this is just an overwintering setup, so if the plants can be healthily maintained until 45+ temps return, I’ll be ok with that

Attachments

• 482472EF-F8C8-4AF9-95A2-65E058C955F1.jpeg
    482472EF-F8C8-4AF9-95A2-65E058C955F1.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 52

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like you pulled the trigger already.

From what I read you have thought through and addressed most of the initial issues.

So a couple items that may or may not be something you are interested in for the future.

A two outlet grounded light timer can be most useful.

One or two heavy duty nursery trays are also of value to catch spills and move trees. The number of plants in a setup only grows over time…. a mystery at that!

Also a heat mat(s) and thermostat to keep temperature where you want it to be is very useful in many situations

Finally a small fan can come in handy to prevent fungus. However opening the garage door works wonders for ventilation.

Finally I do prefer bank LED lights as these give more concentrated light patterns, however for a smaller amount of plants I’ve seen single bulbs work well too.

Cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks like you pulled the trigger already.

From what I read you have thought through and addressed most of the initial issues.

So a couple items that may or may not be something you are interested in for the future.

A two outlet grounded light timer can be most useful.
I’ll check them out. Otherwise, I’ll just turn them on at 7-8am and off sometime around 5-6pm. If I find a cheapo timer, I’ll grab one. I know they’re easier

I plan on getting a surge protector, so can work in the timer. I’m sure I can find a surge protector somewhere around the house
One or two heavy duty nursery trays are also of value to catch spills and move trees. The number of plants in a setup only grows over time…. a mystery at that!
I might have some pie tins laying around

Also a heat mat(s) and thermostat to keep temperature where you want it to be is very useful in many situations
Unfortunately, those items are cost prohibitive at the moment, hence the cheap, slapped together set up. I did think about them though

Finally a small fan can come in handy to prevent fungus. However opening the garage door works wonders for ventilation.
The garage door is opened at least twice a day during the week going to/ returning from work. Sometimes opened more. Weekends vary between 0 to a lot

Finally I do prefer bank LED lights as these give more concentrated light patterns, however for a smaller amount of plants I’ve seen single bulbs work well too.

Cheers
DSD sends
I looked into some bank options, but they were just cost prohibitive for the time being. 2’ grow lights from $45-65. My setup cost $6 minus the lights, $16 with lights

I MIGHT grab another clamp light (they’re $3! Why not! Hell, maybe 2!)

Thanks for your ideas

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really, really, really make sure you get the right light from this setup.
Plants do not predominantly use the spectrum that we see, but focus on the red and blue parts.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I picked up two Bluetooth thermometers on Black Friday for $15. I have found monitoring temp and humidity are critical for success. That way when things go right or wrong you can modify your setup.

Attachments

• 3DB03C63-C0B8-4E18-A030-706AC6F3771B.png
    3DB03C63-C0B8-4E18-A030-706AC6F3771B.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 34

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting.

Looking forward to seeing your trees thrive.

Cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Really, really, really make sure you get the right light from this setup.
Plants do not predominantly use the spectrum that we see, but focus on the red and blue parts.
I think blue is for growing and red is for flowering; and the bluer temps are for succulents. I’ve read that a 5000k LED will suffice

Money is a bit tight, so tried to be economical. If this works, I may drop a little more on actual blurple lights next season (and a way to drop the lights closer). Hopefully, this setup will be just fine for a few months

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm…. That is a vast oversimplification, especially neglecting red as only useful for flowering and green entirely…. Wouldn't that be like leaving the engine out of one’s airplane?

Perhaps this link might shed some light on the topic.

Cheers
DSD sends

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There is no reason to buy blurple LEDs in 2021. I think that would be a waste of money.
The lights you have right now may be cheap, but they are intended to illuminate an area so you can make your way around.
Now, I cannot quite say that 'light is light'. But likely these are full spectrum LEDs.
The issue is that they are not very bright. I do not know what you intend to grow indoors long-term.
Your setup will be good for starting seedlings and maybe some low light crops.

If you decide to buy an actual grow light, please check the review videos on youtube, for example. People have measured exactly what light most of the common models produce.
There is a lot of random products on websites like Amazon where you have no idea what you get.
There is a lot of competition between manufacturers to make a good product. Something that is way cheaper than these tested products will not give your plants the same amount of light.
A good light could be slightly above 100 dollars, should have about 2.0 efficiency (microjoules/watt) and should come with a dimmer.
You do need something to hang them from, though.

The "blue is for growing and red is for flowering" comes from LED manifacturers trying to sell their blurple lights (to cannabis growers) about 5 to 10 years ago.

Top Bottom