Garden center elm save

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had to pick it up, It looks to have some potential, a little messy right now and needs a good report asap as its tiny and mud.

May report now and let it grow and hard prune/wire in winter. Any thoughts ??

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190405_085929.jpg
    20190405_085929.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 212
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks recently budded out. I personally wouldn't do a repot. It looks quite healthy and the substrate looks good...unless it's only a top dressing.

Its a top dressing @Cadillactaste :-(, the soil underneath is very compact and the pot is a 4" pot. i would like to get it into one of my bigger plastic training pots with free draining mix and maybe no root pruning to keep the shock level low.

What ya think ? thanks

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
looking nice, i wish i could fine a similar one

I would repot it now, I've repotted Chinese elms in all seasons and the worth that happened to it was losing its leaves and pouting for a few weeks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
looking nice, i wish i could fine a similar one

I would repot it now, I've repotted Chinese elms in all seasons and the worth that happened to it was losing its leaves and pouting for a few weeks

I think ill repot into the same pot until next season, i too the pic of it side on as i think it would make a better front @akhater, Should i trim a little on the roots ?

Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's not the Right shape pot for that tree.

If you're going to repot...give it justice!

Looks like an "end" pottable tree to start branching.

Sorce

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think ill repot into the same pot until next season, i too the pic of it side on as i think it would make a better front @akhater, Should i trim a little on the roots ?

Thanks
As far as I am concerned the current leaf are showing the perfect time for repotting, (leaves just starting to bud) I would easily give a 'normal' first time repot, bare rooting and root trimming

Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's not the Right shape pot for that tree.

If you're going to repot...give it justice!

Looks like an "end" pottable tree to start branching.

Sorce

@sorce can you break that down for me :) newbie here haha thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far as I am concerned the current leaf are showing the perfect time for repotting, (leaves just starting to bud) I would easily give a 'normal' first time repot, bare rooting and root trimming

Still learning all this terminology @akhater ill start googling later haha

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Start with that's a Fucking nice tree...
"$300 material" if you saw that thread.

An ask for help, in person!, type of good.

Lol! The title says its a garden center save.
(Thats why no one is here.) It's not. Those are shit ugly....this is gold!

Change the title to bitchin little elm!
(Can't...a theoretical social project is all)

.......more

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your tree seems quite ready for a nice pot and final work stages.

If you repot, which seems optional still this year, get it in that right pot!

Truthfully....

This is such a nice lil bit....
I'd let it grow, gauge health, and super care for this this season.

Make good mind next year.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your tree seems quite ready for a nice pot and final work stages.

If you repot, which seems optional still this year, get it in that right pot!

Truthfully....

This is such a nice lil bit....
I'd let it grow, gauge health, and super care for this this season.

Make good mind next year.

Sorce

@sorce I think ill leave the tree until next season and let it grow. Next year will be the RIGHT pot for this one....

Thank you

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce I think ill leave the tree until next season and let it grow. Next year will be the RIGHT pot for this one....

Thank you
Scott Lee who is closer to my climate...says it's risky. I'm no Walter Pall. So, I don't repot once it reaches this stage. Find a nice pot...it's not declining in health. That's a nice looking tree.

I wouldn't attempt a repot on my elm with leaves now exposed. It's not worth the risk..my books and Scott say it would be risky to do so.

Attachments

• IMG_20190405_090716131.jpg
    IMG_20190405_090716131.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 153
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scott Lee who is closer to my climate...says it's risky. I'm no Walter Pall. So, I don't repot once it reaches this stage. Find a nice pot...it's not declining in health. That's a nice looking tree.

I wouldn't attempt a repot on my elm with leaves now exposed. It's not worth the risk..my books and Scott say it would be risky to do so.

@Cadillactaste you have spoiled my plans now for tonight, the soil is bad on my one plus old wires are showing etc. My plan was to get rid of the soil only and replace with good soil.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I recently purchased a Chinese Elm on line that came from Brussels. It had 70% new foliage, but was very root bound to the point that it would not take on water very well at all. I re-potted it, raked out the roots and trimmed them, and put back in the same pot. It never missed a beat. Wild Elms (American Elms??) where I live grow right out of the pavement.

Is it common for Elms to have leaves that turn yellow and fall off on a daily basis? Always new growth but the daily yellow leaves bothers me. Help appreciated. Peter

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I recently purchased a Chinese Elm on line that came from Brussels. It had 70% new foliage, but was very root bound to the point that it would not take on water very well at all. I re-potted it, raked out the roots and trimmed them, and put back in the same pot. It never missed a beat. Wild Elms (American Elms??) where I live grow right out of the pavement.

Is it common for Elms to have leaves that turn yellow and fall off on a daily basis? Always new growth but the daily yellow leaves bothers me. Help appreciated. Peter
I don't classify Chinese elm and elms that need dormancy in the same classification. I know some don't allow the Chinese Elm to go dormant and they supposedly do fine. Where my winged elm needs dormancy. I'm not familiar with your species.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Bonsai_paul
The stage of bud opening in your photo I would consider too late for the spring repotting season. I repot my elms before any green shows. Once you can distinguish leaf peaking out of the bud, it is too late to repot. The tree is entering it's phase of highest water demand, disturbing roots at this point would be detrimental. I'm sure if Walter Pall was your authority, either you misinterpreted his comment, or is English as a second language caused confusion. Or he attached a photo taken a week or more after the repotting, misleading you to think the photo was simultaneously done with the repotting.

Elms are resilient, many survive mistakes, but the better growth you will get when timed correctly will show you that indeed the photo, you show, is too late for repotting.

Top Bottom