Garden tree nuts welcome?

Jmen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not sure why, but I somehow ended up spending spare time planting and pruning around the yard. Most inspiration comes from spending family time watching k-dramas and late night hours on bonsai videos. If anyone is interested, I’m happy to share more pics and would be grateful for any input on garden tree work. We have been fortunate enough to be able to live in one spot for 25 years. Most of the plants and stonework were done by ourselves as time allowed. We had little experience with plants or landscaping before moving here. Four back surgeries changed time off strategy from travel to updating local environment.

F86AFCB0-9158-4243-8F84-680DE4B3BB09.jpeg

F23B09EB-CB0F-4F42-AD61-649AC30E3B0C.jpeg

Happy pruning,

Jmen

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Very nice, welcome to the forum!

Jmen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for welcome. We do have a garden patch but no trees in it.

We have the pleasure of living with some relatively mature trees from Lee’s Oriental Landscape in Ashton, MD - great guy and fabulous nursery for any interested and in the area. The nicer trees in the yard are from John, including the 45 year old false Cypress in foreground and similarly aged White Pigmy in background. Both are somewhat unusual being large and with single leaders.

TBH the primary reason for joining BN forum is sharing uneducated attempts in styling nursery stock for your amusement and my education - what might be the most appropriate sub-forum for developing and maintaining strangely stunted trees not grown in pots?

Regards,

96F06394-BCEE-4BD3-AAE0-82FFAEE26291.jpeg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There’s no place like home!
I would love to have actual garden beds at my home but I just started planting. I hoped that the grass would be to shaded and just die. Lol
It’s a learning process for me.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is always difficult for me to remember the name of the art but I did recall it this time.
Look up niwaki.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice work! looks like a beautiful spot. Did you mention where your located?

Having some space with places to grow out and create beautiful landscapes is a wonderful thing.
Practicing bonsai makes how you look at garden trees very different.

Jmen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have been in the eastern panhandle of WV since late 90’s - escaped from DC metro area.

Grass kept dying in shady areas and moss seemed to happily occupy areas where little else would grow. As they say, when life gives you lemons . . . So we cleared grass out of the shady areas and let the moss do its thing.

1276289E-E5D5-4CB7-9191-814CC039B347.jpeg

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Looks very comfortable. Trying to do the same at our home,,,

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Very nice garden, and a great idea to go with the moss.

For help with niwaki, most any discussion on design, style, and pruning would help. Of course we can do things with trees in pots that can't be done in a landscape. But you have a huge advantage of vigor and ease of maintenance.

Take photos of trees you want to work on, and people here can make good suggestions on how do make them look more like bonsai.

Jmen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Big advantage of trees in pots is ability to adjust light exposure on shady side of plants. I hope to post pruning progress/questions on a few plants soon. Actual pruning probably is best left until next spring but it would be good to have some strategies to ponder prior to further amputation.
Late summer project this year is fence cleaning/sealing.
IMG_0225.jpeg

Jmen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pressure washed, left to dry for a few sunny days, and brushed application of Sikkens Transparent Matt sealant.
IMG_0255.jpeg

Only 20 more panels to go 🙄. Next year though - stuff is expensive and temp/humidity limitations for successful application are narrow. Definitely don’t want it to get wet within a few day pre or post application.

Joe M in WV

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If I ever have the chance, I will design my garden and landscape to follow permaculture practice. I've been watching my friend designing his private reserve. By planting trees that fit the natural water flow in the creeks and river and the drain of rainwater, he gets them to flourish without having to water them much if at all even at initial planting. By making mulch from hurricane damage trees and getting free wood chips from utility companies, he is able to get the soil in excellent condition for trees and plants to grow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom