Rod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can someone tell me what this is? Please help. image.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks like wooly aphids, or however the whoolly/woolly/sheepskin part is spelled.
They are not aphids though, so if you want to treat the plant, look for something that kills them specifically.

Reactions: Rod

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like mealybugs? I think I can see a tail on one. You can dab them with a rubbing-alcohol-soaked qtip or I think insecticidal soap is also effective? But those are only contact killers and you'll have to keep following up. Imidacloprid is a systemic insecticide that usually works but I would only use it if the plant is going to stay inside (to avoid hurting pollinators). Honestly though, if this is a serious infestation and the plant is in poor health, I might just chuck it. Getting rid of mealybugs is usually a drawn out process and they can easily spread to other plants.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've sprayed the entire plant and soaked the soil for mealybugs before with a 50% alcohol solution and had no issues, but then I've also killed one of my favorites by screwing up the ratios when mixing it.
Just saying.

Otherwise your gardenia looks almost as unhealthy as mine. Want to swap notes, find out what we're doing wrong?
The overall health of a plant plays a big part in how far any infestation or infection can go in a give period of time, so keep it as healthy as possible.

Rod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've sprayed the entire plant and soaked the soil for mealybugs before with a 50% alcohol solution and had no issues, but then I've also killed one of my favorites by screwing up the ratios when mixing it.
Just saying.

Otherwise your gardenia looks almost as unhealthy as mine. Want to swap notes, find out what we're doing wrong?
The overall health of a plant plays a big part in how far any infestation or infection can go in a give period of time, so keep it as healthy as possible.
Thanks I’ll try it. It’s been an up and down battle with this one, the leaves yellow and fall off but it pits on lots of new growth even now it’s has new growth coming on. I figured the leaf drop was the lack of good uv light coming through window. It’s been inside the last month, and started to perk up then I checked it a few days ago and tried to find out what it was , so I came here. I’ll try the mixture how long did you start seeing results?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks I’ll try it. It’s been an up and down battle with this one, the leaves yellow and fall off but it pits on lots of new growth even now it’s has new growth coming on. I figured the leaf drop was the lack of good uv light coming through window. It’s been inside the last month, and started to perk up then I checked it a few days ago and tried to find out what it was , so I came here. I’ll try the mixture how long did you start seeing results?
The alcohol solution treatment is immediate. You might have to pick mealybug corpses off with tweezers though.
ABSOLUTELY no stronger than 50% and not more than once at a time. Let the plant recover in between treatments. It may need repeating to get rid of them completely.

I have mine in a north facing window with supplemental lighting. Summer was rough around here. The haven't bloomed since April or May, and several have suffered horrible chlorosis most of that time. They're actually doing much better now that they're inside. Hoping for flowers soon.
What you mentioned about leaves dying as new growth starts seems to be normal because I've noticed it too.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Getting rid of mealybugs is usually a drawn out process and they can easily spread to other plants.
Very true. I had them on my office orchids and it was a battle. I had to throw one away. I sprayed with Bayer 3-1 and used Bonide systemic. Still it took a long time to eradicate them.

Top Bottom