Gardenia Pre-bonsai Thriving

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
For many years, in winter the gardenia spent winter in the light set up for the orchids. Then I ''tested'' putting it in the unheated well house, with no light, for the winter. The well house stays 32-40 F all winter. That worked well too. In the long run, I liked the results of wintering it with my intermediate to cool growing orchids slightly better. There it had 18 hours per day of fluorescent light, T-40 shop lights, and temps between 55 to 75 F, usually cooling into low 60's F at night. My ''light garden'' is a basement set up.

Azaleas - I winter my satsuki in the well house, to good effect. The cold dark rest does not seem to harm their spring bloom at all. I winter my ''florists azalea'' the more tropical R simsii hybrids, bred for greenhouse forcing, they get wintered with the orchids, and often end up blooming in February-March and sometimes again later after being put outside for the summer.

So that is what I actually do.
Thanks. I wish there was a way of saving or bookmarking this post.

Boerboel313

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Mine has been doing ok in this spot for about a year now. Will pull more soil away Next fall and figure out when to move to a more appropriate container.

Attachments

• CA5E982E-E1FD-4422-9178-BB7C3829DE66.jpeg
    CA5E982E-E1FD-4422-9178-BB7C3829DE66.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 25

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Mine has been doing ok in this spot for about a year now. Will pull more soil away Next fall and figure out when to move to a more appropriate container.
Some leaves look a bit yellow. May need some iron supplement?

Top Bottom