Gardenia sick symptoms

dvsrk563

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi,

I have purchased this gardenia last year from Brussel’s bonsai online shop. I’m seeing the plant is wilting and branches are turning brown.
I’m not sure if it is seasonal behavior or some kind of treatment is needed. Could someone suggest?
I live in zone 9.
42E4CB3B-B9BF-436F-AEBD-9E5D69C0626E.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
How is the soil draining? I have one from them as well but so far, so good. But I have had some trouble in the past with their soil. If it is slow to drain, use a metal chopstick and poke a bunch of holes in the soil to facilitate better drainage.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There's still green in all the branches I see, so they're still alive. Where are you keeping it and how are you caring for it? If it's not the soil, it could be light or humidity.

Do you have a zoomed out pic so we can see the big picture?

dvsrk563

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you for checking @Carol 83 @ShadyStump

Is that usual symptom if the watering is the issue, the pot has two drain holes to it.

Usually I water when the top layer of soil feels dry and the pot is in outdoor patio where it gets 5-6 hours of full sun.

Here is the full picture of it and this picture is take right after watering so you may notice some wetness on top layer of soil.
04900EF1-E370-495F-B3B3-DCB485A3D32B.jpeg

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This plant looks like a goner. You have destroyed the roots in some way. Either too wet = rot or to dry = dead roots = rot.
Gardenias are a bit touchy. They need a high quality acidic mix and spare watering but high humidity. Especially for the first few months after cutting roots and potting up. Get a new one and try again.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you for checking @Carol 83 @ShadyStump

Is that usual symptom if the watering is the issue, the pot has two drain holes to it.

Usually I water when the top layer of soil feels dry and the pot is in outdoor patio where it gets 5-6 hours of full sun.

Here is the full picture of it and this picture is take right after watering so you may notice some wetness on top layer of soil.
View attachment 455217
If you're in southern California, it's been cooked in the sun is what it looks like. Get it out of the direct sun and create the most humid environment you can produce for it.

The branches still look green, so there's still a chance. I'm fairly new to gardenias too, but over this season I've seen mine put on new foliage even on previously completely bare branches.
@MichaelS is right about the soil conditions and humidity. Finding the balance of those two factors is the hard part, but once you do you're in good shape.
This doesn't look like it's primarily a soil or root issue. If it was the foliage would be there, but be very discolored.

Again, up its humidity. That's the most important part right now. If you have or can build a humidity tent for it, get it in there ASAP.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The rules of gardenias = acid soil, humidity and protection from drying wind, morning sun only. SoCal = alkaline water, drying wind, intense sun. So unless you are creating a very specific protected environment for your gardenia in Southern California you are going to struggle.

The challenge is that you notice the foliage drying and you want to overwater - which in turn stresses or kills the roots. The solution is to NOT overwater, but to protect the plant from drying.

Gardenias, azaleas and camellias all have similar needs, so once you learn how to manage one in SoCal conditions, you just need to apply the same care to all. Even "sun type" azaleas will need protection in SoCal. And you absolutely will need to use soil acidifier - the irrigation water in SoCal is a killer to acid-loving plants.

dvsrk563

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you everyone, will try my best to have protective environment to restore its life.

@Bonsai Nut Do you mind sharing some good soil acidifies and instructions using them on potted plants. btw, I do have Azalea which is doing great.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you everyone, will try my best to have protective environment to restore its life.

@Bonsai Nut Do you mind sharing some good soil acidifies and instructions using them on potted plants. btw, I do have Azalea which is doing great.
I used this product:

Super Iron 9-9-9

Whatever application rates they recommend, I would start at half strength and see how your trees respond. Definitely better to UNDER fertilize than OVER fertilize. The elemental sulfur is your soil acidifier.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I used this product:

Super Iron 9-9-9

Whatever application rates they recommend, I would start at half strength and see how your trees respond. Definitely better to UNDER fertilize than OVER fertilize. The elemental sulfur is your soil acidifier.
For both OP's and my own sake, these are pelletized, so would you recommend applying this in teabags?
This looks like it's exactly what mine may need too.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For both OP's and my own sake, these are pelletized, so would you recommend applying this in teabags?
This looks like it's exactly what mine may need too.
Tea bags are used for organic fertilizer - because they keep flies (mostly) away, and because it prevents the organic particles from breaking down and clogging your soil.

For chemical fertilizers, it is not necessary. However be careful with any chemical fertilizer because they tend to pack a punch. They will often be stronger (in terms of % nutrients / weight) than organics. We can have a long discussion about this, but suffice it to say that make sure you water your trees heavily before fertilizing. Fertilize, then water down into the soil. Never put chemical fertilizer on a dry soil surface.

Also... forgot to add... you can get the Super Iron 9-9-9 product at Ewing.

Last edited:

RaginCajun

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was having trouble with a gardenia I purchased as nursery stock and then cut back the root ball significantly, then potted it in kanuma soil. It was just yellowing and dropping leaves. I made several changes which Included only using rain water so as not to neutralize the kanuma soils acidity. Another thing I did was cut back on the watering! They seem to like to dry out a bit, kanuma soil holds a massive amount of water. Our humidity is very high here in Louisiana.
It gets dappled sun from sun rise until about 2pm and then it's fully shaded the rest of the day.
It is my first try at gardenia, and I've found them to be quite picky! I'm using an acidic fertilizer for my gardenia as well as bio gold. It bounced back after I made these changes and have now cut it back on top significantly. It's blowing up with new growth.
Yours appears to be drying out like it's not getting enough humidity.

Top Bottom