Gathering stands and burls

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At this time last year I only had a couple of real stands to use in display. Dasu Bonsai has been where a couple have come from.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 61

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doll furniture and aged railroad bridges...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 48

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not Milton but Maple Burl...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 48

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice. Can you post a pic of the other side of the last maple burl?

I love the very first stand btw. :cool:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All of the Maple burls have come from an ebay seller. They come unsanded and unfinished which makes them pretty cheap. For the cost of some sandpaper and small amount of time, the turn out very nice. Both sides come with a rough surface. I imagine they were run through a planer.

I also mount them on my wall in my house. They are natures work of art and nice to look at. When it's time to use them I just take the screws out.

Attachments

• 2014-03-27 08.26.54.jpg
    2014-03-27 08.26.54.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 2014-03-27 08.27.07.jpg
    2014-03-27 08.27.07.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 39

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All of the Maple burls have come from an ebay seller. They come unsanded and unfinished which makes them pretty cheap. For the cost of some sandpaper and small amount of time, the turn out very nice. Both sides come with a rough surface. I imagine they were run through a planer.

I also mount them on my wall in my house. They are natures work of art and nice to look at. When it's time to use them I just take the screws out.

I believe I buy from the same seller (long before I even started bonsai). ;)

Funny that you hang them on the wall...I actually bought one for the same purpose (2 years ago but not done yet :rolleyes: ). It is spalted buckeye burl with mostly dark bluish gray color, with yellow splashes and "red eyes" in the center of some swirls. Really cool looking. :)

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe I buy from the same seller (long before I even started bonsai). ;)

Funny that you hang them on the wall...I actually bought one for the same purpose (2 years ago but not done yet :rolleyes: ). It is spalted buckeye burl with mostly dark bluish gray color, with yellow splashes and "red eyes" in the center of some swirls. Really cool looking. :)

Those are really cool. Dasu Bonsai from Iowa has some really cool buckeye pieces. I would love to find some nice redwood burls, but they seem to be the size of my dining room table and not bonsai sized.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those are really cool. Dasu Bonsai from Iowa has some really cool buckeye pieces. I would love to find some nice redwood burls, but they seem to be the size of my dining room table and not bonsai sized.
Back in my woodturning days, I buy old redwood burl rustic clocks. :) They have bigger holes at the back (for the clock mechanism) but the front usually only have a 1/4" hole. Maybe worth checking...very cheap too if you get lucky. ;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The bigger burl piece at post #1 pic #5...is that manzanita? One of the best wood we have IMHO.

When I stopped turning wood, I sold my 2 big manzanita burl...the biggest one is about 30" wide and almost round. Sold it just for $100 (almost paid that much on shipping alone). I regret it now. :(

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen those burls on eBay. Great to see people using them and having good experiences - they look really nice.

Top Bottom