GDY2000's JBP Entry

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Transplanted, but stems not cut. These guys look great. Might even throw a little wire on em! Only 4 survived ?
image.jpg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, about 1 year update.

I’m keeping 30, about 12 of which had their stems cut. I also have 2 in the ground. So 32 total.

I’m giving the rest away to a club member.

Still too many, but I’ll thin the heard again next year.

Learned a lot here in year 1. I’m starting more again this year. Would like to get better results with the stem cut. I have a few ideas on how to improve.

Not sure if I’ll start from seed every year, but I have learned a lot from this process and would highly recommend anyone wanting to learn more about JBPs to give it a try. If my black thumb can start some of these from scratch, I’m pretty sure anyone can!

1C81A3FE-0989-43E5-8C5E-035454FC2583.jpeg

Last edited:

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, about 1 year update.

I’m keeping 30, about 12 of which had their stems cut. I also have 2 in the ground. So 32 total.

I’m giving the rest away to a club member.

Still too many, but I’ll thin the heard again next year.

Learned a lot here in year 1. I’m starting more again this year. Would like to get better results with the stem cut. I have a few ideas on how to improve.

Not sure if I’ll start from seed every year, but I have learned a lot from this process and would highly recommend anyone wanting to learn more about JBPs to give it a try. If my black thumb can start some of these from scratch, I’m pretty sure anyone can!

View attachment 232538
WOW! Nice growth on larger transplanted ones. How many from the March 17th pic survived? Did any of the ones from the small containers on the right make it? They looked pretty crispy. Also what was your winter protection?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
These are FINALLY starting to take off. My plan is let them grow into the fall, then apply wire...sound good @River's Edge ?

View attachment 246910View attachment 246911View attachment 246912
Sounds about right, i like to apply wire when the trunk is about 1/4 to 3/8 inch in diameter. Also tend to sort and spread roots, checking them every time i repot or at least once a year. You might consider that this fall as well.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
WOW! Nice growth on larger transplanted ones. How many from the March 17th pic survived? Did any of the ones from the small containers on the right make it? They looked pretty crispy. Also what was your winter protection?

Yes, most of those small ones have survived. They were actually more purple than anything, which I think was just their winter color. I overwintered outside w/ very little protection. I think next year I'll bring them into the garage just to be safe.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, most of those small ones have survived. They were actually more purple than anything, which I think was just their winter color. I overwintered outside w/ very little protection. I think next year I'll bring them into the garage just to be safe.
All my smaller JBP seedlings also turn purplish in the winter, normal reaction. The guideline for temperature in the winter i was given by a very experienced JBP grower many years ago was avoid more than 3 or 4 days at -10 Celsius or lower.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
JBP grower many years ago was avoid more than 3 or 4 days at -10 Celsius or lower.
-10C (14F), brrrrrrrr! I wonder what a good guideline is for actual root mass temperature minimum? I’ve heard 20F (-6.7C) thrown around a lot for other temperate trees in containers. But I always wondered if that was sustained air temp or actual temp of the soil.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Time for a class picture.
16 potted up
2 still remain in the ground.

I’m proud that 18 are still alive. But I won’t be winning any contests, that’s for sure. But I’m not giving up. 1 or 2 these should make it to the finish line in pretty decent shape.

I have so much respect for those out there that kick ass at this. Kudos to you. Cc: @kingsville grower

Quite of few of the ones I stem-cut have made it. Maybe it takes 8-10 years, but I think they’ll be nice.

Of course all the seeds started in 2019 are better than these, but I suppose that is to be expected.

I’ve learned a lot. But I’ve mostly learned I don’t want to start from seed anymore. Lots of work, takes up lots of bench space, and I’d rather get proficient in other areas of bonsai.

Just not for me.

#onward

4875894A-C28D-476D-BC1C-3F80902F801A.jpegF467DEA1-D10A-442A-9BA6-1D61D826C7B3.jpeg03F6EE52-E258-4BD0-AC5B-70F326047E7B.jpeg4702F553-705E-431A-A774-A8181CAB282A.jpeg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A quick update from me. 13 made it through the move, which is a win by itself! Didn’t start any this year after starting some in 2018 and 2019. I think I’ll start some next year and look to ground grow. I’ve got a bit more land here in TN.

Here’s a look at the two strongest of the 13.

You can see some very low buds on the second tree...maybe something to work with over time.

Nothing more satisfying (bonsai related 😜) than growing from seed. Highly recommend it!

B01A42E7-325E-481D-AD52-FA3B97CFBDBC.jpeg39D6CD58-F136-45B3-824F-342FF5DCA2E0.jpegD23DFEBA-3621-4292-9FD8-296E6CCF0517.jpegE5BCF530-5A1C-4576-937F-8074BF507C92.jpeg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure why, but I found this video very encouraging and soothing. I think it’s Jonas’ style and also seeing trees at each stage is cool. And, I should say, that comparing my lack of progress to some of the great progress in this competition has been discouraging. But, hearing Jonas and remembering this is a 20 year plus end game gives me some confidence that my trees will end up ok. At least at some point!!!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Not sure why, but I found this video very encouraging and soothing. I think it’s Jonas’ style and also seeing trees at each stage is cool. And, I should say, that comparing my lack of progress to some of the great progress in this competition has been discouraging. But, hearing Jonas and remembering this is a 20 year plus end game gives me some confidence that my trees will end up ok. At least at some point!!!

I agree completely !
Watched it last night, and it is a real pleasure hearing the sure and calm way Jonas expressed himself.
The whole series (one a day) with the masters is very, very nice.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The biggest question in my mind (in terms of this particular contest) is how long to let your sacrifice branch run before you cut it back to start final refinement. I'm assuming you would cut candles at least on year six... which suggests you would remove the sacrifice branch in year five. You could perhaps move the schedule up one year in order to get two years of ramification development... but that would mean only one more year of sacrifice branch.

Not sure what to do. I still have 44, but I might simply field plant the worst 14, and then target 15 to remove the sacrifice end of next year, and 15 to remove it end of year five...

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The biggest question in my mind (in terms of this particular contest) is how long to let your sacrifice branch run before you cut it back to start final refinement. I'm assuming you would cut candles at least on year six... which suggests you would remove the sacrifice branch in year five. You could perhaps move the schedule up one year in order to get two years of ramification development... but that would mean only one more year of sacrifice branch.

Not sure what to do. I still have 44, but I might simply field plant the worst 14, and then target 15 to remove the sacrifice end of next year, and 15 to remove it end of year five...
44! 😳😳😳

With that many you can try both!

I would think 2 years of refinement gives you the best chance of creating a nice shape that feels closer to “finished”.

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

that sounds like a good timetable. six years isn't much time.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Not sure if this helps but I had a video call with Jonas last week and asked him how long to keep the sacrifice branch on. His answer was something in the line of: "You can let as many sacrife branches grow on one tree as you want, try 1 with one tree, 3 with another one. Each tree will react differently and create a unique tree. So there's no exact time of when to take the sacrifice brach off".

Top Bottom